Same wrong IP location with wireless and dial up?

Post your general questions about IP address here.
thedeadmanlegend

Same wrong IP location with wireless and dial up?

Postby thedeadmanlegend » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Hello I am having a very strange problem, There is this site that I do surveys on and when I tried to order items from them with my points they deny it and say say my IP location is located in Kansas and I live in Pennsylvania! They said it was because I am using a wireless connection. Ok fair enough so I looked around for a dialup option and low and behold I found a free one, So I connect with it go through checkout and they still say my IP location is in Kansas! I am at my wits end and I am hoping someone on this great site could help me.

Here are some specs:

COMODO Internet security

Virgin Mobile Broadband2go MIFI 2200 connect card

Medialink usb wifi dongle

Netzero free dialup

Encore usb modem

They both say my location is smack dab in the middle of Kansas. I am connected to the MIFI while I am typing this. If you need any more info just ask, Sorry for the long post. Any help would be appreciated, Thank you for you time. :D

Chrispcritters

Re: Same wrong IP location with wireless and dial up?

Postby Chrispcritters » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Depending on what geolocation database is being used "Kansas" could just be the center of the United States, because the geolocation data provider has no more detail than that.

If you are referring to this site, please provide the IP address(es) in question and a most specific answer may be possible.

thedeadmanlegend

Postby thedeadmanlegend » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello my mifi IP address is 66.87.8.55

And my dialup address is 69.72.36.81

The one I am more worried about is the MIFI because I think I got the dialup to work because somehow I went to a site called http://www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/ and it said I was somehow behind a transparency proxy thing and it gave me another IP address and it was in the right location.

I don't know what is going on I don't think I am behind a proxy. Thank you for your time in helping me with this.

iastaff

Postby iastaff » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:33 am

This generally happens when an ISP doesn't specify an exact address when registering an ip range.

thedeadmanlegend

Postby thedeadmanlegend » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:11 am

So as long as I use the MIFI no one will know where my location is? Is there a way to fix this?

iastaff

Postby iastaff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:14 am

Only an isp can do that. In your case, your isp would have to go to ARIN (American Registry for Internet Numbers) and modify what information they have for their ranges.

remi

Postby remi » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:42 am

no no no no
An IP is not supposed to provide a precise location. So it is not ISP job to improve their IP's location.
It is website job to stop performing localization tests on IP. So explain your problem to the website, and they will probably add an exception for you in their policy, or perhaps (better!) change their *** policy.

Return to “General IP Address Questions”