It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 am 

I use AOL CANADA as my online Server they us a USA IP Address

They show my IP address as living in Virgina USA, But I live in CANADA. When I try to Get free stuff on Canadian Freebee Websites they dont allow me to get anything or they say I dont live in Canada so I cant get the free stuff, But I do live in CANADA!!! I have talked to AOL CANADA about this they tell me I can change my IP Address to a CANADIAN IP but I have to find a teq person who lives here. Im wondering If I can change my US IP Address to a CANADIAN IP without pay out the money to Some Tech Guy....thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:33 pm 

Their answer doesn't make sense. AOL Canada are assigning the IP that shows you as being in the US and only AOL can fix that. Contact them again and see if you can find somebody there who's a bit smarter.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:37 am 

George, The closet Broadband server to me is supposedly is in Virginia she said they dont have any AOL broadband servers in Canada. When I do a speed test this is where the test is bounded off of. I think the tect support are people from Asia. That is what they sound like anyway. If I could change my IP I would. Or maybe even hide it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:52 pm 

Two options come to mind then:
1. Dump AOL and change ISP to a Canadian based one
2. Find a proxy server located in Canada to use for sites that need to see a Canadian IP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:34 am 

Aol is so old school honestly I thought they went under years ago .if your Canadian who is your ISP Rogers , shaw , bell , teleus , videotron those are the big Canadian providers . Personally I have 2 yahoo addys 1ca 1com no issues

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 am 

If you don't want to change providers (which I also think is a good idea anyway) you can try using a proxy (just select a Canadian IP) or use a VPN service (which gives you added security) and connect to a Canadian server.
I have the same issues when I'm travelling, so I signed up with ExpressVPN because I can select which server in which country I want to use. They have a fast Montreal server.

Last edited by Chrispcritters on Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
URL removed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:31 am 

The reason that AOL is showing a Virginia IP address is because they are using IP addresses that were assigned to them by ARIN and resolve back to their headquarters. This is sloppy on AOL's part, but it happens. When the got the IP addresses they neglected to fill out where the servers were located. While not all of AOL's IP addresses resolve back to Virginia, many do.

I agree with what every one else said, dump AOL and use one of the Canadian ISP's.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:59 am 

simply Find a proxy server located in Canada