It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:24 am 

Im trying to change my ip. I have tried ipconfig/release renew. No dice. Called Charter and they had me enter netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt but I still got the same IP.
here is my info

Hostname: 68-189-xx-xx.dhcp.snlo.ca.charter.com
ISP: Charter Communications
Organization: Charter Communications
Proxy: None detected
Type: Broadband
Assignment: Dynamic IP

Im running Window Vista and I use a Belkin G-Router but when I attempted the cmd prompts I was directly connected to the modem.
Any Idea's?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:58 pm 

I can’t believe your ISP was unable to resolve this issue for you, that is very shame full on their part.
I think you know this but I’ll say it anyway just to be sure we understand one another
You are connected through a modem and then you have a router connected to that? When you are just connected direct to the modem without any router then the commands you have tried should change that IP Address but that isn’t always the case, some dynamic IP Address are assigned to that user for a number of days so that would make them command useless if this is the case with you

If you are connected through the router then you would be connected to your LAN and all the commands you have tried would only change your LAN IP Address and not the public IP Address. Have you tried to turn the power to the modem off and then turn the power off to the router, wait a few minutes and then re power up the modem and connect direct to that? If you haven’t then please do try it

Let me know how you get on, best of luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 pm 

Thanks for the reply. Turning the modem and the router off and back on is the first thing I did, with no success. Then with the router off I plugged into the modem and tried the cmd prompt ipconf/release renew. Didnt work. I got on online support with Charter and they told me to try the netsh command. He said my ip was dynamic so I figured I had it. Still didnt work. Unless there is anything else I can do all I can do is that I am going to have to turn off the internet for 24 hours and hope another Charter customer gets my IP.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:14 pm 

Yes that might work, just know that your dynamic IP Address could be assigned to you for a number of days/week’s or sometimes months so if you don't get a new IP Address after the 24 hours without any power to the modem then I think it’s just a matter of waiting

Good luck jstone