It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:57 pm 

Hello!
I have a computer running XP 64bit that all of a sudden could not connect to the internet. I am using a router, and cable modem. I was using the computer yesterday, working fine, went to the store, came home, no internet. No one was in the house. I checked my network card (I assumed it died on me). It appeared to be ok. I installed a wireless card for testing purposes and ran in to the same issue. My network connection said it was sending packets but not receiving. I've spent since about 3pm yesterday afternoon working on this issue. The computer was not even contacting the router. I finally got it down to the computer can contact the router, but still get not get outside to the net. This is where the ip address change comes in. I have restarted the router, the modem, the computer, released, renewed, flushed dns until I was blue in the face. It keeps giving me an ip address of 192.168.1.113. Which was a static ip I was using in order for a game server to run on my computer. Of course I have already removed the static ip and set my settings to obtain automatically. I finally got to a point of desperation (and been wanting to do this anyway), and went and bought a new router. I plugged the router in, set up the software, plugged the computer back in. STILL giving me that ip address. I have no idea where it's getting the address from now. I even uninstalled my network card and reinstalled. I just don't understand where this address is being stored that it's getting it from. Once I changed it to obtain ip automatically it should be getting the address from the router (which is dhcp). Please, please help me get this thing to stop trying to use this address! Honestly, not even 100% sure it will work once I get it to stop using it, but at least it's a start.
Thank you for your time.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:50 pm 

Try plugging your PC into the router you used to post your post above. At leased you will have a start point to settle any issues with your PC.