Does IP address change if moving to next city over?

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
gsbutler10

Does IP address change if moving to next city over?

Postby gsbutler10 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Getting ready to move, wondering if my IP address will change when I do that. I have comcast cable modem, connect wirelessly through a router and have Vista. I'm still going to be with comcast but will get a new modem. I tried going to the Command Prompt screen to change and when I put in ipconfig/release it said this command requires evaluation? Not sure what to do from there to change IP. Hoping IP will change when I move in 2 weeks. :D

blackraven

Re: Does IP address change if moving to next city over?

Postby blackraven » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 am

If you are still using the same router, your external IP address may stay the same, as I believe Comcast assigns this based on the MAC address of the router.

However, if you have your router disconnected from Comcast for period of time you would likely get a new dynamic external IP assigned (would have to check with Comcast as to how long you need to disconnect the router for to get a new IP).

Ipconfig/release would affect your LAN IP only, and wouldn't change your external IP as you are behind a router. If your external IP does not change after disconnecting the router you may be able to clone the MAC address to get a new external IP.

Here is a link that may help you ~

http://www.ehow.com/how_5923342_obtain- ... cable.html

gsbutler10

Postby gsbutler10 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:36 am

I have my own netgear router and a comcast cable modem so will my ip address still stay the same with it being my own router? I will have it unplugged for @ 2 days and I will get a new comcast modem when they do the install at the new house?

blackraven

Postby blackraven » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:51 pm

Probably, you will get a new IP address assigned rather than keep your old one. If not, and you still want a new IP then you may be able to clone your MAC address and get a new IP.

Return to “Change IP Help”