It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:29 pm 

Getting ready to move, wondering if my IP address will change when I do that. I have comcast cable modem, connect wirelessly through a router and have Vista. I'm still going to be with comcast but will get a new modem. I tried going to the Command Prompt screen to change and when I put in ipconfig/release it said this command requires evaluation? Not sure what to do from there to change IP. Hoping IP will change when I move in 2 weeks. :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:42 am 

If you are still using the same router, your external IP address may stay the same, as I believe Comcast assigns this based on the MAC address of the router.

However, if you have your router disconnected from Comcast for period of time you would likely get a new dynamic external IP assigned (would have to check with Comcast as to how long you need to disconnect the router for to get a new IP).

Ipconfig/release would affect your LAN IP only, and wouldn't change your external IP as you are behind a router. If your external IP does not change after disconnecting the router you may be able to clone the MAC address to get a new external IP.

Here is a link that may help you ~

http://www.ehow.com/how_5923342_obtain- ... cable.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:36 am 

I have my own netgear router and a comcast cable modem so will my ip address still stay the same with it being my own router? I will have it unplugged for @ 2 days and I will get a new comcast modem when they do the install at the new house?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:51 pm 

Probably, you will get a new IP address assigned rather than keep your old one. If not, and you still want a new IP then you may be able to clone your MAC address and get a new IP.