previous ip owner / email reverse search

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
mickyp

previous ip owner / email reverse search

Postby mickyp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:31 am

Hi

I read a thread(2013) about finding previous owners of an ip Address, started by tradpole1, were you able to help? i have an email i would like to do the same, ie find the owner of the ip at the time of the email.
Or a reverse email address search, i have seen a number of pay sites US based that offer the service, i have no objection to paying but if you read the reviews of the sites a lot seem to make it difficult to cancel membership and keep taking the money.

So if you know of a trustworthy site, that would help too, the email owner vanished off the radar five years ago and I believe may have passed away, I would just like to get some form of closure so any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: previous ip owner / email reverse search

Postby Chrispcritters » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I think you're going to have a difficult time.

Most ISP's don't keep their logs any longer than they need to by law. I'm sure that 5 years is well beyond that time. You'd also need to file a law suit to subpoena the records...

For any of the reverse lookup sites to provide you anything useful that email address would have to have been used publicly in a way that it was tied to the user. For example, was a domain name registered using that address, etc. Again, I think with it being 5 years old you're going to run into difficulties.

Have you tried Googling the email address in quotes and checked all the results?

mickyp

Re: previous ip owner / email reverse search

Postby mickyp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am

Hi yes i did, google gave a negative result unfortunately, when i put the address into spokeo and Sherlock they both indicated a record being there, but again that could be anything i suppose lol.

Return to “Email Tracing Help”