dns leak gives ip different than vpn or local ip

Questions related to VPN services and how to use them.
baffled1

dns leak gives ip different than vpn or local ip

Post by baffled1 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:27 pm

I am confused. I am using vpn through a great company. When I went to dnsleak.com it says I may have a dns leak and gives me my vpn ip as "your ip", then under "dns ip" and "hostname" it gives me another ip address. The problem is I check ipconfig and the ip doesn't match any of my ip addresses. I checked the ip address on your website and it came up from a location on the other side of the country and an ISP being totally different than mine. It says corporate account. Do you have any idea what is going on?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: dns leak gives ip different than vpn or local ip

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:04 am

Without the specific IP addresses we can only guess.

We don't run dnsleak.com so can't speak as to the specifics of what they are showing.

You basically have three IP addresses when using a VPN.

1) The IP address of your computer as assigned by your router. This is often in the ranges of 192.168.x.x or 10.x.x.x. These are "private IP addresses" and can be used on any private network anywhere in the world.

2) The IP address of your router as assigned by your ISP. This is your public IP address. This is what is seen when you visit our homepage without a VPN or proxy server being used.

3) The IP address of the VPN service that you are using. This is the VPN server's IP address which may be shared by many other users of the VPN service.

If you would like to provide each of the IP address we can discuss in more detail in public. If you would like to discuss privately you can send an email to support@whatismyipaddress.com.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

baffled1

Re: dns leak gives ip different than vpn or local ip

Post by baffled1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Thank-you for your answer. The Ip search came back as a company providing cloud service but it was listed as a DNS on the ipleak page. Since I posted this thread I came across ways to stop the leak and now the ip address doesn't show up. If someone was able to find that DNS ip, would they be able to find my real ip address? I know DNS is like a directory of websites but if the DNS had an ip on me wouldn't it be my vpn ip?