No connection when using "Hide My IP"

Questions related to VPN services and how to use them.
shipley

No connection when using "Hide My IP"

Post by shipley » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:20 am

I installed the extension "Hide My IP" on my Google chrome browser, but when I turn it on I find that I am no longer able to make a connection to any web site. What's gone wrong? Is this normal? Is it a function of the router? I'm using an Arris router/modem and Time/Warner is my service provider. Thanks for any help.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: No connection when using "Hide My IP"

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:20 pm

It sounds like either your ISP is blocking you from accessing the service or that it is incorrectly configured. You'll probably find the best support by contacting them directly. It would be helpful to others if you let us know what the issue/solution is.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

PeterWolf

Re: No connection when using "Hide My IP"

Post by PeterWolf » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:39 am

Hello VPN Users.
I have been with Total VPN for some time.
Just an Idea, a suggestion.

Your VPN does not depend upon your Browser.
You want to make sure your VPN is set to OpenVpn.

Can an ISP block a VPN?
Depends on the VPN protocol. PPTP can be blocked by your ISP because it works on a single port and uses GRE packets. OpenVPN however can not be blocked as it runs on any ports and protocols (tcp/udp).

Next back to my comment and suggestions for you
It first depends upon how well it installed, then how it works depends upon your current Adapter Settings and the settings it made while installing.
Those changes are called the Tap Settings. I can not manipulate Tap.
I tried it because my vpn would not connect. Then after I reset TAP settings
it could not find what is called "The Token"
In adapter settings this is what I have.
Ethernet, WiFi, Local Area Connection [Where Total put the Tap Settings]
WiFi is the Adapter that the OS uses and Total VPN uses to connect to the Internet.
Turn off your VPN, then go to DNS Leak Test. That will show you how many servers you go thru to connect to the internet via your provider.
Comcast uses Google servers to connect. My bare connection goes thru six servers.
Each one zero encryption, and easily sniffed and port tracked.

I find it highly unlikely that your browser manipulates your Adapter settings.
Now is a good time to back up everything, but because of this problem, making a System Image would only save the current problems.

You want to back up everything because all you have to do is uninstall HideMyIp,
and then reinstall it. Use Revo Uninstaller in advanced mode.
It completely removes every file associated with any software you need to remove.
If you leave remnants of a VPN, you might not be able to successfully install it again.
That was my direct experience until I used Revo

Next is a tweaking suggestion. Don't do it until you have backed up everything you love. My first tweaking experiences broke the VPN, and I had to remove it before I could reinstall it, I uninstalled it, and then just ran a System Image repair because
my image was perfect , and of course had the Total VPN Image, which at that time worked perfectly. That's what is so great about making the perfect system Image.
There are certain steps you need to make before creating your system image.
otherwise you might end up with the same problems you had before you made it.
Also, I find my system image only works for a month, and then it's outdated, so becarefull on that too.

My Vpn works seamlessly because of the steps I took with my service provider.
I asked them to give me a Static Ip Address. It never changes.
DHCP can change every time you reboot your computer. I found that
My Total VPN works perfectly better with Static IP then the DHCP.
Just my choice in the matter.

Your VPN can not be blocked by your provider. That's the whole Idea of Having one.
So it's not your provider. However, be that as it may, if your VPN setup as a PPTP
then your provider can block it. If you set up your ip to the world standard, OPENVPN, then you are home FREE.

This is a drill for you to learn how to go to your Adapter Settings, and change them from DHCP to Static IP. I find that having a static IPV4 Address verses DHCP creates
a stable environment for my VPN. I am connected 7/24. That's because my connection is always encrypted, I have Life Loc, and I need to be online whenever.

So. First off, to have a good trusty VPN, you want to go to adapter settings .
In the corner where you see the Iso bars that you are connected, left click or right click on it, or go to control panel and click on Network and Sharing Center.

click on Change Adapter Settings. There will be three to four connection settings. click on WiFi, or Ethernet one of which your computer uses to log on to the internet.
then click on properties. Don't mess with the other ones unless hide my Ip tells you too.
Scroll down to IPV6 and click the check mark box from checked to unchecked.
We only have a few if any IPV6 connections to websites, and IPV6 can cause problems with our IPV4 connectivity, which is the one our devices use now.
IPV4 is the current connection to the Internet for the world at large.
Now right click on IPV4, then click on properties.
Now you know how to find your IP address window.

Call your provider and tell them you are having trouble with connecting DHCP and you want them to assign you a Static IP Address. The Current IPv4 Address will show up. A DHCP ip address changes every so often automatically. It shouldn't affect your VPN, however as for me, I am very sensitive to connectivity issues my lap top may or may not have. Everything is Static. When static, your IP guys and girls will tell you to type in the bottom slots DNS Servers. There are four numbers.
with google they would be 8.8.8.8 and then the back up DNS Server for me, using google via my current provider, are 4.2.2.2 . with static IP and a VPN, you do not need the DNS Servers so don't write them in.
Period. Your VPN is the DNS Server.
so a static ip address that you type in the top line looks like this . The last box is the IP address designator.
IP Address 10.0.0.100 then your subnet mask will always look like this 255.255.255.0
then your Default Gateway will always be this 10.0.0.1
Next and below those numbers are your DNS Servers. Your provider will give you
those. take them down, but don't put them in the Adapter Settings for them.
You don't need those, nor do you need IPV6 . Uncheck IPV6.

A reminder
Can an ISP block a VPN?
Depends on the VPN protocol. PPTP can be blocked by your ISP because it works on a single port and uses GRE packets. OpenVPN however can not be blocked as it runs on any ports and protocols (tcp/udp).
How to be an activist online in China.

Cheers,
Wolf