IP address Location not in WI where I Live

Post your general questions about IP address here.
oreo333

IP address Location not in WI where I Live

Post by oreo333 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:27 am

So I been messing around with a vpn I have which works great, so I got to thinking....I wanted to lookup my true IP address as sometimes with google my location is off, usually when shopping. See I Live in Wisconsin but my IP address is in Spokane Washington, can anyone explain why this is? I ran a speed test on one site and it defaulted to a Washington server but on another Speed test site, a Eau Claire Wisconsin server was default. The washington server I get 25Mbps download, but the Wisconsin server 22Mbps download. Is this some kinda scheme as to provide 25Mbps service as advertised while in fact not getting true 25Mbps....This is what I've been speculating but am kinda dumbfounded as I think about all this. Thanks for reading and response much appreciated!

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: IP address Location not in WI where I Live

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:05 am

Geolocation is only an estimate based on available information. Different IP location database providers could very well indicate a different location.

The difference in speed test results for different services and different server locations should not be of concern to you, that's perfectly normal.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.