IP policy history

Post your general questions about IP address here.
rchill

IP policy history

Post by rchill » Fri Feb 25, 2011 9:05 am

My IP from Comcast, currently applies to all of the computers in my household. Can someone tell me the approximate year when cable ISPs, like Comcast, first made the shift from assigning an IP to each computer to assigning an IP to each residence, thus covering all computers in the residence?

I ask because my ISP has billed me for an "additional IP address" for a very long time. I have assumed that the additional IP charge was levied because I had a second desktop computer linked to the internet in the house. I never asked for a second IP, nor had any reason to use one, other than originally to connect two computers to the internet, so I wonder if the charge goes all the way back to when it was standard IP policy to assign a separate address to each computer. Or would that be before cable providers even set up shop?

I have had discussions with my ISP service reps about this but have yet to receive a solid answer.

iastaff

Re: IP policy history

Post by iastaff » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:48 pm

I see no feasible reason for Comcast to do this except out of pure greed. Multiple computers in most homes are serviced through NAT (network address translation) or DHCP. Both of these methods allow multiple computers in any jurisdiction to get online, all at the same time, and use one public ip address. Comcast is no different.