weird experience

Post your general questions about IP address here.
hawkvet1_outlook

weird experience

Post by hawkvet1_outlook » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:48 pm

I live in south central Iowa and recently we had a power outage and internet loss. When things came back up, I now have an IP address geolocated in Hobbs, NM locked in! I didn't even know something like this was possible! I contacted both Windstream Communications, our phone provider, and a couple of people I ususlly depend on for answers, and both the Windstream engineers and my people have no clue. I've been doing computer stuff since there were computers, so I know what goes where and why...and I tried turning everything off overnight, etc., and still have the same IP address. I don't have an admin login for the modem as it is proprietary to Windstream. Can anyone help me get the IP address changed so I can continue to access my local TV streaming (which is the main problem in my case, because my CBS All Access is now based in Hobbs NM rather than Des Moines IA? CBS people also didn't have a clue...thanks!

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: weird experience

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:17 pm

IP address geolocation is only an estimate. You should be able to set your location within you local TV streaming account.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Voodoo

Re: weird experience

Post by Voodoo » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:13 am

...and it also depends on what browser you use. Some Browser, for example OPERA, "mistakes" the running OS (Desktop OS or Mobile OS) and redirects the request (of this Site) to its nearest server and that could be the case that you see your IP in a diff. geo. location. Be happy and exploit it as your free of charge VPN :P