Problem users evading IP bans

Post your general questions about IP address here.
Cloudwalker

Problem users evading IP bans

Post by Cloudwalker » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:30 pm

I'm involved with running an online role-playing game where we have a problem with a particular user who seems determined to evade his ban. He has used proxies and VPNs in the past, and from what I understand, he is quite clever/sophisticated in the general area of IPs etc.

He knows proxies etc. are banned and that his account will be at least temporarily closed if he logs in with one.

At the moment, there is an account in the game which, for various reasons, I suspect is him but can't yet prove it. When I look up the IP address on whatismyipaddress, it doesn't come up as a proxy or anything obviously suspicious - it is coming up as broadband, dynamic IP, with the ISP Cox Communications. The location is different to the location where the banned users previous IPs came from.

What I would like to know is, would it be possible for someone with a fair degree of knowledge to be able to easily pull off something like this? Or should I presume the account I'm suspicious about is innocent?

I'd be really grateful for any advice here.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Problem users evading IP bans

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:38 pm

It's really hard to tell. It could be a freshly compromised machine that doesn't have enough history for us to know if it's a likely proxy or not.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Cloudwalker

Post by Cloudwalker » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:27 pm

Thanks for the response. This is the answer I was kind of expecting - that it is difficult to be sure.

Would it be reasonable to presume that if he carries on doing this then, over time, the chances will increase that whatismyipaddress will catch his IP out as being a proxy?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:00 pm

It's not as simple as that. But, the longer a proxy is in service the better chance we have at detecting it.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:36 am

from what I understand, he is quite clever/sophisticated in the general area of IPs etc.
if it is so, then he could create his own proxy and sets it up somewhere so that he can slip through his proxy. A good software designer can easily code a proxy in, for example, JAVA. It's a piece of cake.