IP change/banned address

Post your general questions about IP address here.
indijanac

IP change/banned address

Post by indijanac » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 am

I have an interesting question/problem. I have been banned from a chatroom and that is fine but what intruiged me is the fact that I could not join the chatroom even if I changed my IP or used VPN services or even through Tor browser. It is as if the server recognizes I am trying to connect through a Proxy. Now I want to find a solution to this as it makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Any suggestions?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: IP change/banned address

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Is this a website based chat, IRC, or something else?

It's also possible that when they banned you they blocked a range of IP address and we're already blocking proxies, VPNs, and Tor exit nodes.
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

3mike6

Post by 3mike6 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:27 am

Hey! I have same problem on Pokerstars :D I'm banned and they give me this email:"you will be unable to access or create a Stars Account from your present access point. This location has been permanently restricted from accessing our site."
I changed my ip from 96.x.x.x to 46.x.x.x used a VPN but didn't work
Anyone help?

webplodder

Post by webplodder » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:27 am

indijanac wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 am
I have an interesting question/problem. I have been banned from a chatroom and that is fine but what intruiged me is the fact that I could not join the chatroom even if I changed my IP or used VPN services or even through Tor browser. It is as if the server recognizes I am trying to connect through a Proxy. Now I want to find a solution to this as it makes me wonder what the hell is going on. Any suggestions?
I have the same problem.

I received a permanent ban from a chat messageboard (rather unjustly I thought) and did not receive any information about it. I could have accepted it more had it been a temporary ban, even for a matter of a month or so, but I thought the permanent ban was a bit harsh.

So, I tried to beat the ban by changing my IP, using a new device (an Android phone) and a brand new e-mail account. I used a public library wi-fi connection to get right away from my one at home, so I don't know whether that made any difference. This is around three or so miles from my domicile. Anyway I did manage to receive a e-mail confirmation link which worked ok and permitted me to make a post. however, on making my first post was told it had gone to moderation so it did not show to other members. After a time nothing happened and eventually I was informed I was still banned, which surprised me.

I respect the right of the admins. to maintain a ban but I remain very puzzled as to how they are always able to identify me, no matter which e-mail a/c I use or IP I use! If they do block a range of IP addresses it seems very unfair because innocent people who are in my general vicinity will not be able to gain access to their site.

BTW, why did you ask indijanac whether it was a website based chat or IRC, etc Chrispcritters? What difference would that make?

Thank you.

webplodder

Post by webplodder » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:28 am

indijanac wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 am
I have recently discovered that there is one other way websites are able to identify you.

In your computer there is something called Media Access Card (MAC) which has a unique 12 digit address. Now, this does not normally change, so even if you have changed your IP, e-mail, etc. they can still pinpoint your device by your MAC address.

It is possible to 'spoof' your MAC address by changing it, although I gather this lasts only as long as you do not re-boot. After you re-boot it will revert back to the original address.

Here is how to do it in Windows 10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUx3RnBaSnY

(The music is a bit off-putting).

bigbigI

Post by bigbigI » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:49 am

If an IP address is banned.
Can the ISP do something to let the device to assess the site?