I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post your general questions about IP address here.
Humanist

I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post by Humanist » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:59 pm

I get a lot of spam every single day. Who doesn't. I have spam filters but I wonder if they even work.
So, I looked at the original message ( I have a Gmail account ) and I found out that the IP address belongs to a hosting company in Germany. So, they are hosting the domain name which sends me vast amounts of spammy messages.

I decided to contact the German hosting company. No reply. Here is the IP address: IP 5.230.40.237 and it belongs to this company: GHOSTnet GmbH.

What can I do now? I sincerely want to reduce the amount of spam. So, how can I add this German hosting company and their IP address to some kind of black list?

I am, of course, convinced that I am not the only one who receives these spammy messages. If the German hosting company would be blacklisted I assume that at least some of the spammy messages would be reduced.

Any other suggestions to fight aganist spam are welcome.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post by Chrispcritters » Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:56 pm

The best thing is to use a tool to report spam such as SpamCop
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

Humanist

Post by Humanist » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:49 pm

Thank you for suggesting SpamCop. I have used it extensively but I have not noticed that hosting companies change their habits of allowing spammers to spam. I almost immediately send a message using SpamCop when I receive a spammy message myself. I seldom get anyone contacting me let alone the spammers being stopped.

Are there better ways to report spam? What are hosting companies afraid of? A bad reputation or something else?

If the spammer is an affiliate marketer and selling me products and /or services, I have also contacted the company whose products/services the spammer is selling. Not much difference. Spamming just continues.

It sometimes feel that the whole world has accepted to live in a spammy world. I cannot be the only one who is so frustrated and angry.

lisati

Post by lisati » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:33 pm

During the years I've been reporting spam to Spamcop, I have only received a small number of responses informing me that the provider has taken action. This doesn't mean I will give up on using them.

The two main benefits I see of reporting via SpamCop is that I'm providing data to help them maintain their block list, and, where possible, they can send off a complaint/report to the relevant provider(s). The down side is that Spamcop can't actually stop the spam - it's up to the individual email providers to make use of the block list as part of their filtering of incoming mail. As well as this, some providers don't seem to care.