I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post your general questions about IP address here.
Humanist

I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post by Humanist »

I get a lot of spam every single day. Who doesn't. I have spam filters but I wonder if they even work.
So, I looked at the original message ( I have a Gmail account ) and I found out that the IP address belongs to a hosting company in Germany. So, they are hosting the domain name which sends me vast amounts of spammy messages.

I decided to contact the German hosting company. No reply. Here is the IP address: IP 5.230.40.237 and it belongs to this company: GHOSTnet GmbH.

What can I do now? I sincerely want to reduce the amount of spam. So, how can I add this German hosting company and their IP address to some kind of black list?

I am, of course, convinced that I am not the only one who receives these spammy messages. If the German hosting company would be blacklisted I assume that at least some of the spammy messages would be reduced.

Any other suggestions to fight aganist spam are welcome.
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: I want to blacklist the IP address I receive nothing but spam.

Post by Chrispcritters »

The best thing is to use a tool to report spam such as SpamCop
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
Humanist

Post by Humanist »

Thank you for suggesting SpamCop. I have used it extensively but I have not noticed that hosting companies change their habits of allowing spammers to spam. I almost immediately send a message using SpamCop when I receive a spammy message myself. I seldom get anyone contacting me let alone the spammers being stopped.

Are there better ways to report spam? What are hosting companies afraid of? A bad reputation or something else?

If the spammer is an affiliate marketer and selling me products and /or services, I have also contacted the company whose products/services the spammer is selling. Not much difference. Spamming just continues.

It sometimes feel that the whole world has accepted to live in a spammy world. I cannot be the only one who is so frustrated and angry.
lisati

Post by lisati »

During the years I've been reporting spam to Spamcop, I have only received a small number of responses informing me that the provider has taken action. This doesn't mean I will give up on using them.

The two main benefits I see of reporting via SpamCop is that I'm providing data to help them maintain their block list, and, where possible, they can send off a complaint/report to the relevant provider(s). The down side is that Spamcop can't actually stop the spam - it's up to the individual email providers to make use of the block list as part of their filtering of incoming mail. As well as this, some providers don't seem to care.