Is there a way to know if an IP or series of them belong to a government agency?

Post your general questions about IP address here.
ForTheTimeBeing

Re: Is there a way to know if an IP or series of them belong to a government agency?

Post by ForTheTimeBeing » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:54 pm

Your link and my link about botnets refers to COMPUTERS being infected, not ISP's. My ISP has all manner of defenses besides being behind an administrative login. Sorry, you do not sound credible.

I'd like to hear from others, anyone?

lisati

Re: Is there a way to know if an IP or series of them belong to a government agency?

Post by lisati » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:04 am

Slow down, take a deep breath. You need to complain to your provider, Digital Ocean. It is perfectly feasible that you are an innocent victim of circumstances caused by other Digital Ocean customers. For example, the second listing mentioned in the link I provided is 192.241.220.0/22, which is a RANGE of IP addresses, not a single IP address.

ForTheTimeBeing

Post by ForTheTimeBeing » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:45 am

You need to go away altogether from this thread, lisati, okay? My service provider is NOT DIGITAL OCEAN! Okay? You cannot even read the thread, never mind answer it, okay? Just go away and let someone who knows what they're talking about chime in. Okay??

ForTheTimeBeing

Post by ForTheTimeBeing » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:51 am

Let me add in at this point that my site has been repeatedly scanned for malware or blacklisting and none has ever been found. Scans for malware and blacklisting are run daily. Consequently, my web site has absolutely nothing to do with whatever or whomever is making these bizarre visits.

And to add to the mystery, just recently there have been a number of visits where no information is recorded about the visitor. My stats show a question mark for every field with the exception of the IP address, all of which begin with 34.*.*.* but the subsequent numerals are always different.

Anyone know what's going on with these two phenomena?

lisati

Post by lisati » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:34 am

No need for the name calling. I've already indicated that it's not your fault. I'm beginning to think that it IS your fault.

TURN ON YOUR FIREWALL.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:03 pm

I would not make the assumption that you are being "targeted". If a website just exists it will see waves of odd traffic.

Seeing unusual automated, non-human, traffic is the norm these days. Some reports indicate that more than 50% of a website's traffic is not from human users but bots.

"Good" Bots:
  • Search Engine Spiders (Google, Yahoo, Bing, and hundreds or thousands of others)
  • Other crawlers (Ad content monitoring, webmaster tools, RSS feed aggregators, research tools, etc)
  • Uptime monitors
"Bad" Bots:
  • Content Scrapers
  • Hackers/tools searching for website vulnerabilities
  • Comment and Forum spammers
If you can look at your logs you might be able to identify what types of bot they are by looking at user-agent associated with the requests.

Sure, you can talk to your hosting provider to see what resources they have available to block the suspicious traffic at the firewall. If you are using one of the more popular content management systems like Wordpress there are plugins that can monitor and block suspicious traffic.

As long as you do your due diligence to keep your OS and software current with all security patches, and backup your website/database on a regular basis, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

ForTheTimeBeing

Post by ForTheTimeBeing » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:11 am

I've got the help I need at https://security.stackexchange.com/ques ... e-visitors

You can trash this thread.