Spoof & Cloning

Post your general questions about IP address here.
Peckerwoodlv

Spoof & Cloning

Post by Peckerwoodlv » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Hello- I'm not real keen on IP Spoofing and would appreciate site suggestions or other to get more familiarized w/ IP Spoofing. Additionally, I want to ask when would one want to use MAC cloning? Finally, I run Mint Linux 18.2 on an ASUS laptop. Where I live at the moment has WiFi and I connect by logging in through a browser....however, I have no router at the moment-- in the network properties there are entries for details/Security/Identity/IPv4/IPv6/
Security gives choices of WEP-LEAP-Dynamic WEP -WPA & WPA2 both personal and Enterprise....Should I be running one of those with no router?

Thanks in advance and I hope I posed the question in a way that's not too confusing :!:

lisati

Re: Spoof & Cloning

Post by lisati » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:31 pm

Given a choice between WEP and a variant of WPA2, I would recommend WPA2.

A MAC address is a unique identifier associated with a particular device. Because some of the uses of changing your MAC address I'm aware are of a nefarious nature, I would advise caution if you are considering its use - you don't want to end up with a big mess if you are suspected of violating a service provider terms of use or of helping yourself to a neighbour's WiFi.