Difference between Mobile and Wireless IP

Post your general questions about IP address here.
profv4v

Difference between Mobile and Wireless IP

Post by profv4v » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:35 am

What is the difference between a Mobile IP address and a Wireless IP address in a practical sense? Is one likely my phone and the other likely my home wireless internet?

Also if I turn on my phone's hotspot and then connect my ipad or computer to that for internet, will my IP address show up as Mobile or Wireless or none of the above?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Difference between Mobile and Wireless IP

Post by Chrispcritters » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am

Is this in the context of looking up an IP address and what shows on this website?
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

profv4v

Post by profv4v » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:44 am

yes sir!

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:31 am

Your phone is going to have an IP address that is used with your mobile provider. However, most phones can also use WIFI in which case the IP address would come from the ISP. The first thing you need to find out is if your phone uses WIFI when it is available or not. On my phone I keep WIFI off until I need it because it drains the battery faster.

When you enable your phone to be a Hotspot, any device that connects to it will be using the same access that your phone is. But I don't know enough about Hotspots to say if the other connected devices will have a different IP or use some type of NAT via the phone.

The best thing is to use the tools of this site to see what your phone is doing. :-)