A few questions regarding my ip.

Post your general questions about IP address here.
navi3220

A few questions regarding my ip.

Post by navi3220 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:27 pm

1. If you changed your ip, can someone still do a geo lookup on your older ip and find out about your isp and town or would it register as unknown? :?:

2. My ip is grabbed and was on a list, can they mistakenly accuse that my older ip is some other users ip and release it as a dox or you can't dox with an ip alone? (Similar to question one) :?

3. I've unplugged my DSL for five minutes and plugged it back in and my ip has yet to change, what is it that I'm doing wrong? :x

4. Can they send someone to my house such as a Police or swat? (Yes, I'm aware that this sounds crazy but it's a hypothetical) :shock:

Thank you for any responses <3

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: A few questions regarding my ip.

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm

1. Geo-lookups on sites like ours are based off available information, if you change your IP address the information available on our site about your "old" IP address won't change. (until there is new information about it available)

2. Yes, anyone can make a mistake. Typically your IP address alone will likely not be enough information to get your name, address, phone, etc. (without a court order).

3. Unplugging your modem for 5 minutes is likely not long enough with your ISP. You're not doing anything wrong. Try 8 hours.

4. Yes, your ISP retains records, for some period of time, as to which IP address was assigned to which customer during a particular date and time. These records are not released without a court order. Law enforcement can subpoena your ISP for that information and send someone to your door.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

navi3220

Re: A few questions regarding my ip.

Post by navi3220 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:40 am

Chrispcritters wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm
1. Geo-lookups on sites like ours are based off available information, if you change your IP address the information available on our site about your "old" IP address won't change. (until there is new information about it available)

2. Yes, anyone can make a mistake. Typically your IP address alone will likely not be enough information to get your name, address, phone, etc. (without a court order).

3. Unplugging your modem for 5 minutes is likely not long enough with your ISP. You're not doing anything wrong. Try 8 hours.

4. Yes, your ISP retains records, for some period of time, as to which IP address was assigned to which customer during a particular date and time. These records are not released without a court order. Law enforcement can subpoena your ISP for that information and send someone to your door.
Thank you random admin, the person who got a hold of my ip isn't against me in any way nor do they know me as a user. Just very concern if they were to do something to me.