Getting Yahoo to shut down a mis-used email account.

Post your general questions about IP address here.
seeker23

Getting Yahoo to shut down a mis-used email account.

Post by seeker23 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:37 am

New user here....requesting some help. My neighbors and I have been receiving harrassing, libelous emails from someone using a Yahoo email account. I have been able to determine the origin ip address and the lat/long. info using the tools on this website and have contacted Yahoo and asked them to cancel the email account.
I'm aware of the legal issues (court orders/subpoenas) regarding disclosure of the persons personal info, (and though I'd like to obtain it) my main objective is simply taking this persons email account off the air.
This person has a central florida roadrunner residential ip address and sends mail from a Yahoo email account.
I've contacted both Yahoo & Roadrunner but I'm not optimistic that either will take any action to cancel her/his service, and my local law enforcement says it's a civil matter for the courts.
Has anyone here had an experience like this ? Any suggestions or advice ?
Thanks.

iastaff

Re: Getting Yahoo to shut down a mis-used email account.

Post by iastaff » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:57 am

Usually law enforcement won't get involved unless a real crime has been committed. However, there are proactive ways for you to deal with this. One way is blocking the particular email account that keeps sending you these emails. Its kind of pointless trying to go to court over this matter as most likely the registration with Yahoo is fake anyways.

seeker23

Post by seeker23 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Thanks iastaff....I've already blocked it from my account but this mail is going to all of my neighbors. I have sent all the info to Yahoo & asked them to cancel her email account, and since her Yahoo email address is included you'd think that Yahoo could simply cancel it...of course he/she could then open up another Yahoo account under a different name. I doubt that Yahoo really gives a flit about something like this.

iastaff

Post by iastaff » Sun May 09, 2010 10:31 am

Generally Yahoo doesn't do anything unless requested by law enforcement and there is clear proof that a crime has been committed. Although its not always fair, sometimes we just have to bear the burden when others will do nothing.