Help! Am I being scammed by Latin American Cupid?

Post your general questions about IP address here.
Iknownothing

Help! Am I being scammed by Latin American Cupid?

Post by Iknownothing » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 am

Hello,

I am a new member...and I think I may be getting scammed by the Latin American Cupid website...or maybe not.

Three of the women I have met on this site all live in Lima, Peru (so they say). They have all sent me e-mails from their own personal e-mail accounts (i.e.- Yahoo or Hotmail)

However, when I do the IP search the way I have been instructed to do it (enter the IP identifying # into an IP search engine) I find that two of the three women come up with the same address. The third one has a different address.

This is making me think that maybe this website uses fake photos of women to attract customers...and then they have someone (or several "someones" using different computers) sitting in an office...writing e-mails to unsuspecting men, who think they are corresponding with real women.

How else is it possible for two different IP addresses to have the same physical address? Internet cafe, perhaps?

If they are writing from their own home...or their own place of work...shouldn't the physical address that shows up on the IP search be different...as it is for the third woman?

Thanks for your help.

iastaff

Re: Help! Am I being scammed by Latin American Cupid?

Post by iastaff » Sun May 09, 2010 10:25 am

It is possible that they use a shared public internet connection or wi-fi hotspot. But I'd be really careful about online dating sites as they generally have a bad reputation and are a common gathering place of con artists. As to your ip tracing of the people in question, how far apart were the cities/locations?