Can IP addresses be copies?

Post your general questions about IP address here.
everslj11

Can IP addresses be copies?

Post by everslj11 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Someone created an email account and when the ip address was looked up, it came back to my home address. I didn't create this account and was wondering if my IP address could be copied?

blackraven

Re: Can IP addresses be copies?

Post by blackraven » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:18 am

Yes, it is sometimes called "spoofing". Also, your IP address could change over time, if it is assigned dynamically by your ISP.

everslj11

Post by everslj11 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:36 am

Is there any way to trace who created the email account if I have the email address they created? Do you suggest I change my IP address or can they just get it again? Is there any way to protect myself from this happening again?

iastaff

Post by iastaff » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 am

An ip address will never trace back to your home address. It will trace back to the issuing isp. As to "spoofing" per se, this can only be done if your device was used as a proxy or the ip address is being used as a gateway. Those are the only 2 possibilities.

everslj11

Post by everslj11 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:04 am

I'm sorry, I'm not all that computer literate. Someone sent out a nasty email and when the ip address was traced I was told that the longitude and latitude traced back to my home address. They even gave me my address. This person has now created a facebook account with my information and I'm not sure what I can do to stop this. They have my real email address and I was told that's how they found out my ip address. Is there anything I can do to protect myself?

iastaff

Post by iastaff » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:23 pm

The latitude and longitude are basic estimates of the city in which an ip address is registered. It doesn't trace back to one's own address. Whoever gave you information is completely off about it.