Change my home IP without using VPN

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
realkewl

Change my home IP without using VPN

Post by realkewl » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello all,

1. I have home broadband
2. I have a router, actually two (primary, and second router just a node on the primary, but the secondary router is my router and I have my wi-fi configured so all my devices connect to it, below I'll explain better)
3. Home computer is windows 10 and windows 8.1.

Ok, what I am trying to do is change my IP address to be a USA IP address. Why?

Because I travel a lot to different countries but, I want my employer to think I am still in the USA primarily.

I have my company's computer laptop that I VPN into the network, so I cannot have two VPN's running at the same time.
I asked my ISP provider if they could do it before I signed up with them and they said yes, but of course after I signed up and went back the next month they couldn't figure out how to do it. Plus, they speak a different language so it is very hard for me to communicate with them.

Anyway, I am sure this has been asked over and over again...I did a search but I found more folks trying to change their phone's IP.

I have looked into Smart DNS (only good for websites) and have started looking into a proxy server. But here's where it gets tricky, because I want to change the router, so all my devices appear from the USA. The last country I was in, they was able to do it no problem. But this country they cannot seem to figure it out. The reason I want to change the router is because the company's computer has group policies that could overwrite anything I change.

I also have another laptop that I could share it's hotspot if the router cannot be changed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. BTW I do have a VPN, actually two...NORDVPN and ExpressVPN. Also, I have access to both routers. I would prefer to change my router config...but not sure if they would be good enough, because it is just a node on the main router and servers up DCHP IP's for all my connected devices.

Thanks,
realkewl

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Change my home IP without using VPN

Post by Chrispcritters » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:51 am

If your ISP is not in the US you will not be able to do that without using a VPN.

What you might want to look at doing is seeing if your router can be configured to use a US IP address from either NordVPN or ExpressVPN. It's just a matter of if your router supports it and if your VPN company supports it as well. You would need to reach out to the support company at either VPN provider.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

realkewl

Re: Change my home IP without using VPN

Post by realkewl » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:21 pm

Yes my router can support it, but again if I use NornVPN or ExpressVPN, I will be using a VPN, and then I could not VPN into my companies VPN, correct?

The strange thing is I moved about 5 hours away from my other apartment and that ISP Provider (note non US ISP) was able to do it. Of course that ISP is not available i this area.

Also, I have two routers that I use. The main router (from ISP) and then my router (for all my devices). So when I move I just plug my router into their router and I'm good to go.

Thanks,
relakewl