Changing IP via ISP....but still same??

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
Cheryl33

Changing IP via ISP....but still same??

Post by Cheryl33 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:20 am

Hi i'm new on here so bear with me!!

Due to a forum ban and threats from the mods i contacted my ISP and asked them if my IP address could be changed. Fairly surprised when the operative immediately asked, "oh you've been blocked from a forum ban and want a new ip address?" She told me she'd guessed as they deal with it on a daily basis! Anyway she told me they could change it from their end "no problem" and within minutes it was done. At least that's what i was told. However on checking using WhatIsMyIP site, the geolocation shows my property address! Correct area, correct road and the only part which isn't bang on is the house...it shows my neighbours property.

I'm on broadband via a router through my phone socket(not in a cabled area so have no alternative). It's switched off overnight and sure enough a different ip address shows each day, but when i check through WIMIPA it shows the correct location. I've tried disconnecting it overnight but that hasn't helped either.

I need a fresh ip address elsewhere in UK. How do i successfully get that to work on my home based pc?

Appreciate any help/advice.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Changing IP via ISP....but still same??

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:48 pm

It sounds like you've got location sharing turned on by default in your browser. If you let us know what browser someone can walk you through the process. After that you'll want to change your IP address again.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Cheryl33

Post by Cheryl33 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:27 pm

Hi i'm running Chrome and using Win 8.1

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:14 am

Oh...Chrome uses the System settings of your OS (i.e. Window 8.1).

Cheryl33

Post by Cheryl33 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:49 am

Voodoo wrote:Oh...Chrome uses the System settings of your OS (i.e. Window 8.1).
So can't i disable the location settings that Chris mentioned......or will that screw things up if i can?

As i said in my first post, i do get a different ip address showing every time i switch on my router after being off all night, but when i check via WIMIPA the geolocation on the map shows my property address irrespective of what ip address has come up. What i want to do is get that ip address geolocation shifted to show it's elsewhere.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:06 am

As i said in my first post, i do get a different ip address showing every time i switch on my router after being off all night, but when i check via WIMIPA the geolocation on the map shows my property address irrespective of what ip address has come up. What i want to do is get that ip address geolocation shifted to show it's elsewhere.
Oh...it's easy to explain:
1) "i do get a different ip address showing every time i switch on my router after being off all night" That means your ISP keeps its promise and the dynamic IP has changed after several hours
2) "but when i check via WIMIPA the geolocation on the map shows my property address irrespective of what ip address has come up" It's probably your ISP has switched your IP from an IP pool that covers your area.
3) if you don't use proxy or VPN then you have NO change to interfere the Win8 System Settings.
4) if you want to be showed up, for example, in San Diego while you live in New York area then you have to go with a San-Diego Proxy of VPN. Or ask your ISP to switch your IP from an IP pool of another faraway area from your "home area"

Cheryl33

Post by Cheryl33 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:21 pm

What are these "location settings" that Chrispcritters mentioned in his post though? And would disabling that screw anything up? What part of Chrome are they found in?

I do have a VPN installed but 1) it only gives US ip addresses and 2) i know the forum in question kicks people off who use them. Hence the reason i asked my isp to give me a new ip address which they told me they'd done.......but it is still displaying my true geolocation.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:25 am

but it is still displaying my true geolocation.
That means your settings are still with the old values. Sorry that I don't want to go into details with the System Settings. You should GOOGLE for the solution with the hint "Windows 8 IP system settings".
Bye

Cheryl33

Post by Cheryl33 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:19 am

Thanks