I have no private IP address - help

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
luminosity

I have no private IP address - help

Post by luminosity » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:32 pm

I have a media server here on my desktop which is connected via eithernet.
The only IP address my router device list gives me for this computer is the public address.
My server should have "private" IP too, that starts with 192.168.xxxxx but it doesn't. My other devices are listed.

If I unplug everything for hours in the attempt to change my IP address via the router, will it also add that server address? If it won't, how can *I* add it manually? Would a system restore do anything?

I've been trying to figure this out for nine days. My Roku is good. My Plex Media Server is good (everyone outside my network still has remote access!). Everything seems to be fine except this.

Please use little words. :oops:

Thank you

tc399

Re: I have no private IP address - help

Post by tc399 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:47 pm

If your media server is connected through the router, it's LAN-facing IP is assigned by the router. You can assign it manually in the router to ...basically anything. But I'm not sure what you are trying to do.

How about first, telling me if your computer and 'media server' are the same thing. If they are you are probably using OS-X Server and that has nothing to do with the router at this point.

See if this is what you are trying to do. https://www.apple.com/quicktime/pdf/QT_ ... _v10.4.pdf