Question re: IP address

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
Evaera

Question re: IP address

Post by Evaera » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:00 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding changing my public IP address. Currently, my public IP address is formatted as follows: 24.44.xx.xxx

I have read a fair amount regarding changing my public IP, and have managed to do so simply by unplugging my router for a few hours. However, there is one thing I've noticed whenever I change my public IP via the described method. Every time I do so, the "24.44" never changes. The only numbers to change are the ones denoted by the "x". Is there a reason why this is the case? Is there a way to change the "24.44" to something else, and if so, how? The second question in particular is something I've been wondering for a while and haven't been able to find the answer to, so I would greatly appreciate some insight from others!

If necessary, my ISP is Optimum Online. I also have a router and modem provided by Optimum Online. If there's any other information you may need to know, please inform me and I'll try my best to provide it. Thank you for reading, I look forward to any and all replies.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Question re: IP address

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes, an ISP only has a limited number of IP addresses in a block. They can only assign you an IP address from a block of their own IP addresses. In many cases ISP's further the pool of available IP addresses by geographic (or network) region. In this specific case I looked and the block of IP addresses from 24.44.0.0 to 24.44.3.255 are assigned to Optimum Online. (They probably have other blocks of IP addresses)

If you wanted to appear to be from an entirely different block of IP addresses you'd need to either change providers or use a VPN service. In the case of the VPN service you would appear to be from one of their IP address blocks.

Does that help?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.