IP Change for internet connection

Post your questions about changing your IP address here.
Mister_Hugz

IP Change for internet connection

Post by Mister_Hugz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:20 pm

Hi, I have a broadband (I think) internet connection with a router and it is currently connected to multiple things; such as: My main apple computer currently running on OS X El Capitan, my Roku 3, My Iphone 5s and my consoles.

I have this old Windows Computer (Currently on Windows XP version 2002, service pack 3) and I tried hooking it up to internet using an internet wired connection. Now, I have to say that the computer cannot receive Wi-Fi. I cannot get internet connection through the wire, it works perfectly fine on my Mac but whenever I plug it in the Windows computer it says ''Windows - System Error : The is an IP address conflict with another system on the network.''

If you need any additional information please say so, I don't know what else to say other than please help me I am definitely not a computer wizard and I am having a lot of trouble over this.

(List of things I have available: A spare internet wire (grey) (currently using a yellow one), 4 seemingly LAN ports, access to my 192.168 thingy and a USB thing that is supposed to create access to Wi-Fi that I have yet to manage to install on the computer, I am having a lot of trouble with that too.)

Thanks

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: IP Change for internet connection

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:35 am

In general, most devices should be setup to obtain an IP address from the route via DHCP rather than you manually entering an IP address of each device. The first step I would take is to go into the Network control panel on the Windows machine and make sure that DHCP is turned on and see if that solves your issue.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Mister_Hugz

Post by Mister_Hugz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:44 pm

Actually I cannot access the Network Control Panel though the windows machine, only the other one... I did ''run'' ''cmd'' ''ipconfig'' and by using that first number in the search bar (192.168...) it simply ''connects'' for a long time and then shows a ''unable to connect''

Update: I tried it on a different browser (internet explorer instead of firefox which i had transfered via usb from my mac) and it says that its trying to connect to sytem32 xpsp3(something).dll/(something)error sooo idk man I tried running that .dll file (idk what .dll is) and it just doesnt do anything in the browser and it shows up as blank squares in notepad...

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:07 am

You'll need to find out which other device on your network is using the same IP address as the Windows machine and change it from DHCP to manual and then change the IP address of that device (you could try the "renew" IP address option and see if it gets issued a new IP address from your router)
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:32 pm

Why can't you used the Windows control panel? Using the Windows control panel to check the LAN setup would be best. If you can't do that then you should have an icon for your network somewhere on the desktop that may help you change the configuration and use DHCP rather than a specific IP address. Do you know the IP on any of the other devices?

The other option is to turn off all your other devices that use the network. See if your PC will work then. If it does, turn the other devices one by one and see if any of them won't work or if you get an error on your PC at some point.