Public list of untrusted proxies

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
Xtoll

Public list of untrusted proxies

Post by Xtoll » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:44 am

I need a list of IP addresses of proxy servers that are used by people who anonymize themselves to get around e-commerece rules. Ideally, it would be free, but a subscription-based service might be okay.

Where can I go for this service?

nielsencl1

Re: Public list of untrusted proxies

Post by nielsencl1 » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:23 am

You can do search in google for free proxy lists. There are a lot of site that publish these and they change all the time.

Are you looking for the list to get around the rules or to help with people that are using them? You can respond via Private Message here if you would like.

Xtoll

Post by Xtoll » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi, thanks!

I'm trying to identify users who are assuming multiple identities in order to get around quotas on placing orders.

I tried extracting the addresses from the X_forwarded_for and Remote_ip fields in our transactions database, and ran them against some lists of anonymous IP proxies I founds using Google, but I got no hits. Maybe the proxies in my database were already out of use by the time I scraped the sample lists from web pages.

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:45 pm

I understand, but you are doing it the hard way I think. You will have better luck if you take your list of IP addresses from your users and run them through a free service that does a reverse-look up and shows you things like 101.44.231.78 - 101-44-231-78-troy_ny.comcast.net.

If you see they are using comcast or another large residential ISP they should be honest users (although there are services that sell proxy services that use residential providers). If you see an IP that has something like mountain.hostgator.com then you can be sure the user is using a proxy server and may be trying to open extra accounts or get around being banned.

And if you find an IP address without a reverse lookup, you can use a network lookup on a site like network-tools.com. You enter in the IP and it will tell you the IP block range that contains the IP along with the entire range of that server. Such as 44.55.66.77 might be in the range of 44.55.66.0 - 44.55.66.255. Then you can block the entire range from your server using CIDR notation that looks like this 44.55.66.0/24. This allows you to block ALL of 44.xxx.xxx.xxx with a single entry that looks like 44.0.0.0/8. You can do this in your Firewall or the htaccess with a line that looks like deny from 44.0.0.0/8.