Blocking Proxies

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
bazinki

Blocking Proxies

Post by bazinki » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:35 am

For the past few months my site has been getting hit with lots of fake accounts and user abuse. I checked into the bad accounts and it seems they are all using an IP hiding service like a vpn or proxy? So this is making me think I should just block all proxies and vpns?

I started using https://ipqualityscore.com/proxy-vpn-to ... on-service and so far everything is good, the fake accounts are getting blocked and many have stopped trying to create new fake accounts.

Does anyone else have experience with stopping proxy connections? So far things are good I just want to learn more about why they are using these IPs to target my site.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Blocking Proxies

Post by Chrispcritters » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:56 am

You might want to look at integrating with https://www.stopforumspam.com/
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:54 pm

I have been using htaccess for many years now to block click fraud and form spammers.

What I am doing might make things easier for you. I have a LARGE block list, but it includes most of the non-USA web so it may block more than you need. Still, I think it will save you some work. Send me a Personal message here if you are interested.

And thanks for the tip about ipqualityscore, I will check them out.

bazinki

Post by bazinki » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:23 am

Appreciate that - will look into those other methods for dealing with these fakers.

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:23 pm

No problem. And thanks again for sharing IPQualityScore.com. I had a nice online chat yesterday and I was pretty impressed with what they are offering including a free account. APIs can be a little tricky and I don't know much about JSON, but they have a couple options that don't require programing and I am going to start with them first to see how it works. I think it will supplement my IP block list very nicely.