What information can a forum see other than ip address?

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
proxynoob

What information can a forum see other than ip address?

Post by proxynoob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 am

Hi, I have been trying to get into a particular forum, but my registration doesn't get approved every time. I might have tried like 10 times or maybe more in the past 3 months with different email id's and ip address everytime. And each time, my registration gets rejected.

The forum works this way. We have to register first, then an admin will approve our registration, after which we will be able to post in the forum.
I can read the forum, register also, but once registered the admin is rejecting my registration.

At first I thought it must be my ip address, so I downloaded the Opera browser and tried registering from the Opera browser proxy with a different email. That didn't work. Then I downloaded Tor browser, created another email and tried registering from that browser, it didn't work either.
I guessed maybe the Tor and Opera browser registrations are not approved because they are known to be proxy servers.

Then I got Avast Secure Vpn which had a 7day free trial. I created a new email, downloaded Mozilla Firefox and registered in that forum. My registration hasn't been approved. So I think that the forum can see something more than Ip address, which I am not hiding and therefore they are cancelling my registration. What could that be?

Right now I am using Avast Secureline Vpn. I have chosen a proxy server from Canada. If any moderator in this forum can see my real location and ip address even though I am using this Vpn, please let me know and also tell me how I can hide that.
Thanks.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: What information can a forum see other than ip address?

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:09 am

It's likely that you are being rejected *because* you are trying to hide your IP address. Proxies, Tor, and VPNs IP are often easy to identify.

Some forum admins are very strict as to who they allow to post to this forums and would rather choose to block too many new accounts than too few.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

proxynoob

Post by proxynoob » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:25 am

Hi, Thanks for the quick reply.

Before I used proxy, I actually tried to log in with my own IP and email I use everywhere. But that didn't get approved either. I have never been a part of that forum. I am not a troll, I don't get banned from forums. However, I am a member of a forum that shares some moderators with the forum I am trying to get into. When my registration didn't get approved for the 4th or maybe 5th time, I guessed the moderator doesn't want me on the other forum because they don't agree with my opinions.

I am not so desperate to get into the forum. I am trying only because I want to know what information they could have about me, that they are able to track me even when I am using proxy servers. I am afraid they may have more information like my mac id, or something else that helps them track me.
As a forum admin can you please tell me what information and what methods of trackings can a forum use to identify members. I am really worried.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:02 pm

Most platforms only track IP address, username, and email address.

Moderators may be using additional tools to review users before approving them but really only start with the information above.

Could be that they don't approve users in certain countries, etc.

proxynoob

Post by proxynoob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 am

Chrispcritters wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:02 pm
Most platforms only track IP address, username, and email address.

Moderators may be using additional tools to review users before approving them but really only start with the information above.

Could be that they don't approve users in certain countries, etc.
What additional tools?
I mean, I understand that they start with the basic information such as IP and email, but from what you write it seems like they can see more than just those things. What else can they see when I register?

Also, another thing I wanted to know is: When I post or register in a forum using Proxy/VPN, and then after I log out of the forum, if I go back to my own IP, can the forum track that the IP has changed? I am assuming they can't know but I could be wrong...

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am

Tools like this site, StopForumSpam, etc.

You are correct, if you leave the forum and then turn off the VPN or otherwise change your IP address they won't see that.

proxynoob

Post by proxynoob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:36 pm

So a forum has no information of a member other than IP address and email? Because the other tools you mention are tools to verify an IP address and location.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:56 pm

Forums only have your IP address and the information you give them (username, email, password) and the cookie(s) they place.

The tools I mention, and others, help to gain additional insights based on IP address, username, and email.

proxynoob

Post by proxynoob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:57 pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer all my questions.