Question to iastaff

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
dammitman

Question to iastaff

Post by dammitman »

I am considering purchasing a VPN connection. A couple of questions.

1 Are they easy to install?
2 When a webmaster is looking at the IP address when I am using the VPN network, can he tell that it is a VPN address?.
3 Does the IP address (of the VPN network) look like a Proxy server address?
4 Does it come up that it is a Proxy Server Address
5 Is there any way that they can see through the VPN address and see the original IP address?

6 What is the difference between a VPN Network and a standard Proxy Server? What are the advantages and disadvantages of VPN.

7 Do VPN networks use a static IP address or would I have a dynamic IP address within that country that I chose for the VPN address

8 Can the Webmaster on the other end see any evidence that it is a VPN network. (I have heard that they will not allow people to use Proxy Servers and they are banned if they do)

Sorry for all the questions but they are important for me.

Thanks for all your help.
Last edited by dammitman on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iastaff

Re: Question to iastaff

Post by iastaff »

I'll answer your questions to the best of my knowledge in the order you've asked them:

1.) Yes. We offer both manual setup instructions and an automated dialer. You can have your pick which one you choose to use. We also have support personnel that can do it for you as well via our live remote support option.

2.) No. I've gone through great lengths to make sure my networks are not detectable as vpn's. I've given them all hostnames, reverse dns, and the ip ranges I use are pulled directly from my authority as an internet numbers registrar. This means my ip ranges have not been assigned to data centers and they are not known server ranges.

3.) Absolutely not. As I stated above, I use ip ranges that are assigned to normal isp's and not data centers.

4.) Currently, on this site only, I have 1 out of 164 servers that is detected. That came about because a previous client did some off the wall stuff. Thats a long story I may get into another day. But on all other sites they are not detectable at all.

5.) Absolutely not. A vpn provides a strict layer of protection and you receive the vpn server's ip address 100% of the time that you are connected to the network. The second part of this takes into consideration what type of vpn you are using. An isp can see PPTP and L2TP base connections (this refers to only the initial connection and disconnection to and from the server, but not the data that is contained in the tunnel itself. We use SSTP technology to completely fool any isp into never seeing a vpn connection at all. So there are various answers to this questions as its more complex than you may think.

6.) A normal proxy server (ip:port) only serves your browser and provides a weak layer (if any at all) of encryption. Most random browser proxies don't support encryption at all, so everything you send and receive is out in the open for anyone to see and read. A dedicated vpn network uses high security encryption to encode everything contain in the tunnel 100% of the time.

7.) Thats all down to the country you choose. We don't prefer to issue dynamic ip addresses as that only attracts scammers and fraud artists, email spammers, and those that wish to do harm to a network, although we do have the capability to issue them dynamically.

8.) This all depends on the skill level of the webmaster and whether they know what to look for. Not all webmasters are created equally.

If you have any additional questions I'm more than willing to answer them.
dammitman

Post by dammitman »

Thanks for your quick response.
Last edited by dammitman on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dammitman

Post by dammitman »

Thanks for your quick response.

Re your response to 1 (We offer both manual setup instructions and an automated dialer. You can have your pick which one you choose to use. We also have support personnel that can do it for you as well via our live remote support option.)

1 I am not a tech savvy person, so what is the difference between manual setup instructions and an automated dialer?

EDIT: I have now done a little research and think I may have the answer. I assume that a manual setup is one that I can turn on whenever I want to use the VPN. And the automated dialer automatically connects me up each time.
(Do I win the lolly for getting it right? Or have I totally got it wrong?)

2 I think that I will take advantage of the offer that your support personnel that can do it for me as well via your live remote support option. Does that cost extra?

Re your response to 4 Where is the one 'detected server' (out of 164 ) based?

Re your response to 8 On the basis that they reject anyone using a Proxy server address (and so must be a bit tech savvy) , would it take much work to find out that it was a VPN network?

Thanks again for your work here
iastaff

Post by iastaff »

Live remote support is part of all our packages. There is no extra cost for it.

A manually setup vpn uses whats already in your operating system. You just have to input your username and the server details and then hit connect. Our automatic dialer is a piece of software with the server settings pre-programmed into it. All you would need to do with that is download it and enter your username and password and away you go.

The last I saw, this site only detected my Vatican City server. I'm not aware of any others that have been detected.
dammitman

Post by dammitman »

Thanks for your quick reply

Re your response to 8 On the basis that they reject anyone using a Proxy server address (and so must be a bit tech savvy) , would it take much work to find out that it was a VPN network?

Thanks again for your work here

PS I will be purchasing a VPN connection from you later this week.
iastaff

Post by iastaff »

It still depends on the skill level of the person looking at it. Webmasters and network administrators are not created equally and some wouldn't know a vpn server from a hole in the wall. But over the past 5 years I've perfected many technologies to defeat checks like these.
dammitman

Post by dammitman »

OK Thanks for all your help.

i will buy a VPN connection from you later in the week.
iastaff

Post by iastaff »

No problem at all. We've now got 129 countries to choose from so we should be able to serve just about any need you have.
amber

Post by amber »

i got a static ip does the vpn apply for that aswell?
and if yes. how much would it cost to get a vpn from you?