How are you detecting my country?

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
boccob

How are you detecting my country?

Post by boccob »

Hi,
I am using a proxy located in the United States (66.249.7.234) but you correctly detect my country as the United Arab Emirates.
I just want to know how you detect it.
I tried to install a geolocation plugin for firefox to show that I am in the US but this doesn't work on your site.
Please help.
iastaff

Re: How are you detecting my country?

Post by iastaff »

Your probably using a transparent proxy. These types of proxies do not hide your true ip address.
boccob

Post by boccob »

i am using apache with mod_proxy
Your site shows the IP for my proxy but it still shows my country correctly.
In any case I will try and use an anonymous proxy and see if you still pick up the country correctly.
Thanks,
Boccob
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

In any case I will try and use an anonymous proxy and see if you still pick up the country correctly.
It's not a voodoo :twisted: as you think. How whatismyipaddress.com shows the correct IP is clear. How your country is revealed is depend on your Proxy. As iastaff said "transparent" Proxy. If you turn off your Apache server the keyword HTTP_FORWARDED or HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR or HTTP_CLIENT_IP you may keep your true IP hidden and so that your country stays unknown. How to do that you have to consult the Apache manual (config or so) :mrgreen: If you successfully do that your Proxy is NOW a real Anonymous Proxy :D
iastaff

Post by iastaff »

Your way off base here. You can't just turn "apache" off. Thats the core engine that powers the entire server.
lisati

Post by lisati »

iastaff wrote:Your way off base here. You can't just turn "apache" off. Thats the core engine that powers the entire server.
I don't think it's apache that needs to be turned off, but the headers inserted by the proxy.
Voodoo

Post by Voodoo »

@lisati
but the headers inserted by the proxy
Correct! And you can "manipulate" them!