Proxy server where I work

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
bobbytaylor

Proxy server where I work

Post by bobbytaylor » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:29 am

Where I work I connect to the company wifi, it is a secured network so I had to originally enter the password but now it just connects automatically when I am in range.
I have an LG android v 2.3.6 smartphone, myself along with most the other employees use our phones which are connected to the wifi to do online banking, facebook the usual stuff really.
I was wondering if it is possible for our boss to see which websites we have visited, i have logged into the companies router and it is set to default and does not keep a log of any websites visited.
So I'm guessing the only other way would be if he was using a proxy server, it is only a small business with about 15 employees, we have no IT department.
I have done the proxy test when I have been at work and all the tests come back saying 'no proxy server detected'
The only other possibility would be a transparent proxy server which would be undetectable, I was wondering if our company was using a transparent proxy server would my version of android phone just connect as normal or would the phone I use have to be configured to connect to the wifi if a transparent proxy server was being used and therefore I would know if a transparent proxy server was being used?

Many thanks

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Proxy server where I work

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:41 pm

Yes, it is possible that the person who manages a network can track what websites those using the network are visiting.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Martin Greif

Post by Martin Greif » Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:38 pm

Yes, the person managing the network can track the sites you go to. However if the sites are encrypted, then they cannot see the encrypted data you send. For example, all good banking sites are encrypted.

If you are still concerned, you can use a proxy or a VPN to encrypt your own traffic which will also eliminate the ability to track the sites you visit.

user

Post by user » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:27 pm

Anyway if you have a company website with an invalid (internal) cert, they can trick your browser to redirect to a pseudo webpage even if that is encrypted.
Unencrypted pages can be redirected too, for example you type gmail.com in your browser but it opens hotmail, so yes, without a vpn they know everything.
But I think it's not legal if they don't tell the monitoring...
By the way another good point to track browsing (partly) is a private dns server, so they can see all host->IP request.
Or maybe the ISP gives a functionality to the company's boss to get the logs from there...
( with private addresses that not solves to track who used the net from the 15 employees.... )
But by the way it's easy to look on facebook walls and see the posts time, so if I am the boss, and there are posts in worktime, I don't need a proxy to tell that my employees are using the company's net for private :)