FTP Host Server- Dreamweaver - XAMPP

Post your questions about proxy servers here.
OzWaz

FTP Host Server- Dreamweaver - XAMPP

Post by OzWaz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:03 pm

I have encountered the following error using Dreamweaver to connect to my web hosting server

An FTP error occurred - cannot make connection to host.

No response from server.

This may be due to one or more of the following reasons:

- Accessing the server requires proxy settings that are properly set.

Please verify that the proxy settings in the SITE CATEGORY of the PREFERENCE dialogue box are properly set; and
the USE PROXY option in the SITE DEFINITION dialogue box is selected.

- The server may be accepting only passive mode or only active mode.

- Toggling the “Use Passive FTP” checkbox may help you establish a connection.

- If you are connecting to an IPv6 enable server, please select “Use IPv6 transfer mode” checkbox in the Advanced site definition dialogue.

- Your local firewall may be blocking the incoming FTP data. Please disable it to see if it makes a difference.

- It is possible your FTP may be using a non-standard FTP port (21). If you need to specify a non-standard port, enter the port number after the host names separated by a colon “:”

I have absolutely no idea how to resolve this problem. I have several sites hosted on the one server and this is the only one that has returned this error when I attempted to upload the site.

I suspect it is something to do with using XAMPP on my home computer in order to develop and test the PHP code for this site and that somehow this facility has resulted in this outcome.

I would be most appreciative if anybody could offer me any suggestions as to how I might remedy this situation.

Thanking you in advance

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: FTP Host Server- Dreamweaver - XAMPP

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:01 pm

This is the error that Dreamweaver is giving you?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

OzWaz

Post by OzWaz » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:09 pm

Yes that is correct/ Image of error here http://www.warrenbolton.com/content/dr.html

Thanks

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:23 am

Hi,
if you read carefully the "messages" you'll see the possible solutions for your problems. Btw, you'd check the settings

Accessing the server requires proxy settings that are properly set

Or the properties or the config file of your server

Please verify that the proxy settings in the SITE CATEGORY of the PREFERENCE dialogue box are properly set; and the USE PROXY option in the SITE DEFINITION dialogue box is selected.

OzWaz

Post by OzWaz » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Voodoo for your assist.

I do understand that the solutions are detailed within the message but I have absolutely no idea how to go about finding or changing ‘proxy settings’.

It is in this area that I am looking for some assistance

Regards

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:01 am

Hi,
Try to google for "Proxy Settings for XAMPP". Tons of hints with https://www.google.de/webhp?sourceid=ch ... or%20XAMPP
For example:
1) http://rada.neocities.org/xampp-windows ... erver.html
2) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMqUG4E2M0M
Have fun.

OzWaz

Post by OzWaz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:42 am

Not sure this qualifies as 'fun'

Can I just ask, Why do I need to have a Proxy setting for XAMPP?

I am no longer use XAMPP for this site. The site is complete am I am trying to upload the site to my website hosting server.

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:14 am

Hi,
Can I just ask, Why do I need to have a Proxy setting for XAMPP?
sorry, I can't answer your question :oops: because I don't know what's your intention with XAMPP, what environment you work with and what apps you run. Secondly, I'm NOT an expert of any 3rd party software (XAMPP or any Apache/GNU/Sourceforge/etc. stuffs). What I need I develop it for myself :mrgreen:
Anway, proxy is only needed, when you have to "bundle" requests to a certain port for
a) tunneling through a firewall
b) blocking/controlling the other users from misuse of the web access for whatever purposes
c) regulating the traffic within your LAN
d) fooling some spying sites
e) ...

OzWaz

Post by OzWaz » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:21 pm

I installed and used XAMPP to test some PHP script for my website.

I use Dreamweaver as the code writer and FTP software.

Dreamweaver provides a facility to connect with XAMPP so that pages can be viewed within Dreamweaver (i.e. the use of an external browser).

Once I completed the process of building my website I attempted to upload site to the host server. It was at that stage that I encountered the error message referred to above.

I am sorry if I have wasted your time and I have come to the wrong location in seeking an answer to my problem. The reason I ended up here was because the term ‘proxy server’ means this 代理服务器 to me.

So I though I needed to seek help from someone who did, as they could know how to fix the problem - but it seems I am inquiring in the wrong arena.

Do you have any suggestions as to what technical arena I should turn to for assistance with this problem?

Thanks

Warren