HELP PLEASE: Tracing Romance Scam Emails to Country of Origin PASS with SPF

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
IngaMari5917

HELP PLEASE: Tracing Romance Scam Emails to Country of Origin PASS with SPF

Post by IngaMari5917 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:02 pm

Dear Tech Team and IPAddress forum members,

I am a lady who made the mistake of going to Christian and non-Christian dating websites online, only to run into numerous romance scammers. For my own peace of mind, I would like to learn how to look up which countries these emails originate in, please.

A US major stationed in Afghanistan, a US general serving with the UN peacekeeping mission in Syria, a miner working in Africa, a naval engineer working on a contract in China, a businessman traveling from New York to Abu Dhabi and China and back, an oil engineer working on a rig in Alaska (who I later found out is actually a scammer living in Nigeria), all have the same SPF PASS with IP 209.85.220.41 out of Kansas here in the United States.

They all have gmail addresses. I clicked on the "show original" which should show the path the email traveled, but seem to run into this end-pass of the PASS with IP address. Please let me know if there is another way to locate where these emails originated from. I would appreciate it.

BTW, I made the necessary reports to military stations, the UN peacekeeping task force, as well as all appropriate dating websites already after finding out from some google searches that these men obviously are knows as scammers already. Some of these men who I believe are scammers have gotten back to me, asking for another change, assuring me they are the "real" persons. Strangely enough, all of these men I met were initially in the United States, but had to travel on overseas assignments within a week of our initial meeting. Then financial problems arose and they now need my help, supposedly, to come "home" to be with me. None of them have family or friends and somehow seem dependent on a disabled lady in her late 50s. Strange coincidences, if you'd ask me. Sorry for sounding cynical. I am just so tired of being used. As I mentioned above, for my own peace of mind, I would like to know where these emails come from.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am not technologically challenged and need this spelled out for me, if possible. Thank you so much.
Sincerely with blessings,
IngaMari

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: HELP PLEASE: Tracing Romance Scam Emails to Country of Origin PASS with SPF

Post by Chrispcritters » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:51 am

The SPF PASS just means that it was sent via a legitimate mail server.

One of the reasons scammers use Gmail is that they do not disclose the sender's IP address in the email headers.

You could try one of the techniques at https://whatismyipaddress.com/get-ip to try to get them to reveal their IP address to you.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.