Weird IPs

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
Mod-Stress

Weird IPs

Post by Mod-Stress »

I'm a moderator for a large site, and a few years ago we began seeing IPs that looked like this: 41360384. They appeared after an upgrade to the site, after which some of the previously normal-looking IPs for site members disappeared and these shorter ones popped up in their accounts. Some of our longtime posters have long lists of these weird IPs, and WhatIsMyIPAddress won't even do a search for them! What the heck are they?

Thank you for your help.
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Weird IPs

Post by Chrispcritters »

Anything formatted like that is not an IP address.

Sounds like a "privacy" feature that replaces the user's IP address with a token or something not working correctly.

What platform are you using?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
Mod-Stress

Post by Mod-Stress »

The site uses vBulletin. What these IPs seem to be is some kind of replacement for the former authentic IPs. There are actually dozens and dozens and dozens of these in my own profile.
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters »

You may have to open a support ticket with them to track down the specific issue but it sounds similar to this.

Without being a vBulletin expert this could also be a permissions issue, an old add-on, an add-on conflict, an issue with PHP version, etc.

(Sorry, not a whole lot of help)

Seeing dozens of IP addresses over the years would not be unusual of you are accessing from a smartphone or home with a dynamically assigned IP.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
Mod-Stress

Post by Mod-Stress »

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I followed the link and read the discussion. It may be a broken element that we need to correct through vBulletin, so our site owner will need to do that. Appreciate the help. :)