IP Lookup Tool Question re: My IP Address

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
Mandy

Post by Mandy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:59 am

Hi,

I have used a variety of IP lookup tools, and some show my IP as No Proxy/Highly Anonymous. However, this site shows my IP as simply No Proxy and also shows my IP as static. The map shows a location in the middle of a large field or park in another city. It is about 1 hour from my real address though.

I use my cable provider to connect to the Intenet. When I use tracert from the command prompt, my IP is different from the IP shown online. I was under the impression that I am behind some kind of proxy that the cable company has put in place. Until now, I assumed my online IP address is actually just a random IP assigned by my cable company but it's not my true IP. However, I'm not sure now. Does tracert typically show a different IP from what sites/servers detect as my IP?

When I use a proxy or VPN, tracert shows the same proxied IP as the IP shown online. Although, when I use a service like UltraSurf, it only shows the masked IP online with Firefox & IE (not Chrome or Opera). With UltraSurf, tracert shows my normal IP; in other words, it's not the masked IP. With UltraSurf, I'm concerned that only http: requests with 2 browsers are actually changed but I don't know if I should even be concerned about this.

I'm so confused. How do I keep my real IP hidden? Can someone please explain this to me.

Thanks for your time.

Raps

Re: IP Lookup Tool Question re: My IP Address

Post by Raps » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:42 pm

The tracert command you are using is to show the route taken by packets across the network for your Address so you can to determine the path that an IP packet has taken to reach a destination.

With VPN have you done ipconfig in the command prompt and checked to see if it’s given you a new IP Address. If you are using a router then it might be a new LAN IP Address you see?

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Hi Raps,

Thank you so much for replying. I am happy I checked back once more because I didn't expect a reply after the first couple of days.

I really apologize for my poorly worded post. My questions do not relate to local IPs. I do know the difference between my LAN and the internet. I am referring to the IP that's assigned once I leave our internal network.

I'm using tracert to see all the IPs involved in routing my connection/packets to the destination IP. It starts are my PC's local IP to my router to my ISP's IP. (My IP is represented by 210.163.255.5.):
1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms atermbr-74d290 [192.168.0.1]
2 7 ms 8 ms 8 ms 10.102.0.1
3 8 ms 7 ms 8 ms 210-163-255-5.tcv.jp [210.163.255.5] << me
4 ... routing IPs to destination IP follow ...
5 ...
--------------------
Currently, I'm viewing this site using Ultra Surf with Chrome & Firefox.
In Firefox, it shows my IP as UltraSurf's IP 65.49.55.55.
In Chrome, it shows my IP as 210.163.255.252, not 210.163.255.5 (tracert) or 65.49.55.55 (ultra surf).
Using tracert from the command prompt, it still shows my IP as 210.163.255.252, not 210.163.255.5 , not 210.163.255.252 or 65.49.55.55 (at all, in the route).

Turning UltraSurf off, I view the site normally to find:
- Firefox and Chrome on this site show my IP as 210.163.255.252, not 210.163.255.5.
- Trace route still shows my IP my IP as 210.163.255.5. 210.163.255.252 doesn't appear in the routing.

Using a VPN with tunneling, I see the following:
- Firefox, Chrome & trace route (first hop as in 192.168.0.1>10.102.0.1>first hop) show my IP as the VPN's assigned IP in the USA. Traffic also shows US based IPs in the routing of packets. The VPN's application that sits on my desktop shows my original IP as 210.163.255.252, not the IP shown without the VPN when I use trace route.

When I view this site normally or via a VPN or with Chrome while UltraSurf is enabled, it shows "Proxy: None detected". When I view it through Ultra Surf with Firefox, it shows, "Proxy: Suspected network sharing device." In this regard, I also don't understand why other sites show "Proxy: None/Highly Anonymous" from all above IPs when this site mainly returns, "None detected".

So, basically, I want to know what my PC's true IP is... Is it 210.163.255.252 (what the outside world sees normally) or is it the IP in trace route 210.163.255.5? If someone were to port scan my pc based on 210.163.255.252, are they really scanning my PC or is it a proxy? When I chose my provider, I was told there was some kind of proxy in place to prevent attacks. However, I don't know how to confirm this or whether it's true. I'm also confused by the different IPs being returned by each browser. I would ask my cable company in Tokyo. However, I speak English, and my cable company's staff can only answer my quetions in Japanese.

This is very long! I hope I haven't caused more confusion. I just want to know if I am really behind a proxy with my ISP and the best method/more reliable method of connecting to US web servers with an IP in the US.

Mandy

Post by Mandy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Just an FYI to the mod:

It took nearly 20 minutes to reply to this post because you're filtering the subject too aggressively. The subject inserted by your forum "Re: IP Lookup Tool Question re: My IP Address" was causing a server error because It thinks the repetitive colons are a url in the subject(?). I almost gave up but luckily, I have enough experience with the web that I recognize the error page and cause of the error.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks, we'll look into the forum subject issue.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Raps

Post by Raps » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:24 am

Hi Mandy

I have asked a friend of mine to come and answer your question his name is theeagle.