ip lookup

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
bums

ip lookup

Post by bums » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:30 am

hello ,
I use this site regularly to give me information about who is been visiting my websites, hosted on a british server location.
I myself am located in belgium....
A few days ago I noted ,while visiting my accesslog's, that there has been increased traffic on two of my sites coming from a belgium IP....87.65.23.26
I looked it up and it seems to be the same ip that I myself use, according to your website's 'my ip'.
The geolocation info states that this ip comes from within belgium(correct,of course)...but the info does not give a more precise location.
This used to be different :
Up to some days ago, a geolocation was given , which was within a 50 km range.
Now it seems as of belgium..or this provider's(belgacom) ip range is static through whole belgium. You cannot define a more precise location now.

What the visitor from ip 87.65.23.26 is looking for on my sites is the following example:

87.65.23.26 - - [Tue Jan 08 05:39:44 2013] "GET /thisisanothername.be/Producten/Producten.html HTTP/1.1" 200 16295 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/536.26.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.2 Safari/536.26.17"

and this 'GET/ ' the visitor is doing many times with all the different files off the particular website.
To me it looks like the typical bot/spider search...
-but the visitor does not say he is a bot/spider as many bot's normally do
- the visitor is definitely making traffic of some 20mb while normal bot's use some 100kb
-this is happening now for some days in a row on different domains
-while I am sleeping :)
-while accessing the awstats of my websites I notice in general that traffic has been made on my domains, but it is not noted/listed in the specific domain stats:
for example 20mb traffic over night, but only some 3mb specified on the specific domain chart...but on the other hand a lot of traffic on my access-log....

the answer of my service-provider..." its normal that your website has traffic..." :)
not really satisfying...

Could it be the provider itself?

is there a way to find out what the visitor is doing and who it is?
some unidentified bot in belgium?
I haven't heard of belgium provider policy to hide ip-adresses of its users.
Other people would maybe applause the fact that their ip is not traceable to a more accurate ip-geolocation, but I myself find it a bit suspicous...
but, am I seeing ghosts...maybe

thanks for your time
chris

Voodoo

Re: ip lookup

Post by Voodoo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:09 am

Hi Bums,
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_2) AppleWebKit/536.26.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.2 Safari/536.26.17
This is the HTTP-request keyword User_Agent. It tells you about the Identity of the "surfer": Macintosh Computer Operating System X 10_8_2, Browser Type Safari...
If your computer is a Macintosh, your browser is Safari it's probably YOU. And the GET /thisisanothername.be/Producten/Producten.html is the requested page.
20mb traffic over night, but only some 3mb specified on the specific domain chart
Normally every browser retries several times if its 1st request failed. And every page contains normally lots of graphics and they are usually very "fat" (hence 30mb?) or asks some other sites for the requested graphics...For example, this site asks facebook for the icon f

bums

Post by bums » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 am

Ok, it is macintosh and safari...and this would be some kind of a 'foolish me' complaining.
But does a browser does this kind of 'research' by itself? I think he may because of updating top-sites or previous history?..... hmmmm, I am also fooled by the time difference in the stats from British to central European time, they differ, so I thought it couldn't be me.
as a side note: i am a bit paranoid as well because of numerous Chinese and Russian extern links that show up in my stats. maybe that is why i am seeing ghosts :)
Thanks for answering anyway ....
chris

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:33 am

bums,
But does a browser does this kind of 'research' by itself? I think he may because of updating top-sites or previous history
I don't know much about Safari, but it should be similar to other Browsers, especially Chrome. Safari, Opera and Chrome always trace the behavior of its users and "do" their own statistics. I don't want to scare anyone but if you had a chance to observe the traffic sent by such a browser you'd be very scary :shock:
i am a bit paranoid as well because of numerous Chinese and Russian extern links that show up in my stats
No, you're fully normal. It's really Chinese and Russian. But mostly Chinese and Chinese-faked Russian :o
:mrgreen: