possible for IP to geolocate to [apartment compex name], correct state, correct country?

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
SoVeryHacked

possible for IP to geolocate to [apartment compex name], correct state, correct country?

Post by SoVeryHacked »

so i've been hacked to hell and back for just under four months now. they "own" all the devices on my LAN and all my accounts, minus one. i've wiped my devices and had new op systems installed three times; two new modems installed, the second of which i *thought* was pretty darn secure (though THAT word -- "secure" -- is such a fallacy in association with anything computer, i've learned, that it's almost becoming hilarious); had my mac's Terminal and ScriptEditor uploaded to iCloud and then been locked out of iCloud; etc. they seem to have full control of my computer -- if they want to restrict a search, they do; if they want to change a youtube playlist as i'm listening, they do; if they want to delete all my Notes or ANY file, they do; there seem to be no limitations. the same goes for my iphone. for instance, because i kept turning off and restricting Location Services in every place it's used on the damn phone, they just went on and added it -- yeah, added it -- to iBooks, which is a stock app that cannot be deleted, apparently. restrictions no longer work for anything either. if they don't want my mother (or anyone for that matter) and me to talk or text, we don't talk or text. if they don't want my alarm to go off, it doesn't. the list of things they're able to do has been astounding, and every time i learn something new (i'm no techie, or wasn't) and bump up a defense, they just go a step above. the consensus is that i'm dealing with someone pretty darn sophisticated.

so, to the ip question. for a long time, my ip addy would change, so one day i might be in the UK and the next in cleveland. now it's being reported as a static addy -- on THIS site actually -- geolocating me to my apartment complex name as the city in which i live. this site had also confirmed use o a proxy server and detected tor nodes twice. from my online research, the apartment situation isn't possible in terms of geolocation, but, well, that's what it does, indeed, say! am i correct that this is an impossibility in terms of geolocation? if so, how are they doing it?

additionally, if you would -- i don't know for sure if what all they've got running on both devices is in the firmware or not. i feel reasonably confident it is on my iphone given than within minutes of a system restore location services is back on iBooks, for instance. my computer, however, is another story. after the last modem installation, my IP was checking out just fine. i didn't notice any changes to preferences and such either. but within about 3-4 days, i was again geolocating all over the country. i haven't, however, noticed any other system changes or oddities (well, that's not true -- when i start up, i have to enter my password two times, and the first time on the first login screen (there are now two), there's always this red arrow next to the password box). thoughts? and, if it is in the firmware, will getting a new hard drive resolve things or not? the apple "geniuses" say yes, but i've not found them to be particularly genius, frankly, and i've read elsewhere that such is not always the case.

any help you can provide on these issues -- or just any thoughts you have in general -- i'd greatly appreciate. this has been an absolute nightmare. in fact, i'm moving very far away in a few days because i believe my safety here is questionable given things i don't feel comfortable discussing. thanks!
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: possible for IP to geolocate to [apartment compex name], correct state, correct country?

Post by Chrispcritters »

With respect to geolocation it's only an estimate. However if it's switching from one country to another on the other side of the world it sounds like there is some privacy software (VPN, Tor, etc) installed on the device or the router which is causing the IP address to change. If you've done factory resets, reinstalled operating systems, and replaced your network hardware there isn't really anything that can be done remotely to diagnose the issue. You might want to contact your local computer store or Geek Squad to come out and look at your issue(s).
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
SoVeryHacked

Re: possible for IP to geolocate to [apartment compex name], correct state, correct country?

Post by SoVeryHacked »

hi, Chrispcritters. thanks for replying! the apple geniuses have done what they can, which is nothing really. and where i live the only security consultants -- which a senior apple security adviser said to, at this point, contact per apple protocol -- either charge fees this single mom cannot afford or they only do work for companies. i'd say i'm pretty much on my own on this. do you know of any online applications that might help me detect precisely what they've got going on in my system and network or places to find folks one would feel comfortable giving remote access to, and who don't charge an arm and a leg? if not, and if i wipe at least my mac again before hooking it up to a new network, what signs of firmware-level scripting, i guess you'd call it, would you advise i be most on the lookout for? any help is incredibly appreciated. thanks.
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters »

I've not heard of Mac OS or iOS device being compromised without the user personally installing malware/infected software on them so doing a factory reset and reinstalling the OS should do the trick. If that doesn't do it no free online solution will.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.