ISP: AT&T Wireless?

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
profv4v

ISP: AT&T Wireless?

Post by profv4v » Mon Sep 26, 2016 8:05 am

Hello All,

I am researching a variety of IP addresses and they continually come back indicating the following information:

Hostname: mobile-###-###-###-###.mobile.att.net (The # masking the actual number)
ISP: AT&T Wireless
Organization: AT&T Wireless
Services: None Detected
Type: Wireless Broadband
Assignment: Static IP

Is this saying that the IP is being linked to a cell phone or a tablet connecting via a mobile wireless connection? What does the above information tell me about the likely device or where the person is likely connecting from? IE home computer via home internet, cell phone connecting to cell network, etc.? Also would it make sense that multiple people are utilizing this IP or would it be more likely that one person/device is utilizing this IP?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: ISP: AT&T Wireless?

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:19 pm

Yes, if the ISP is AT&T Wireless it's almost certainly a smart phone, tablet, or hotspot. It really doesn't tell you anything about the person who is using the device. Depending on how AT&T utilizes their network the IP couple represent many different users over a period of time.
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

profv4v

Post by profv4v » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:30 am

Thanks Chris - very good information.

On a similar note I also see many times an IP address whose ISP is some random company, but shows the following type: Corporate, Assignment: Static IP. In some instances the ISP will even be AT&T U-verse or Comcast.

Does the fact that it is a "static" and "corporate" IP say anything specific? IE does the fact that its static and corporate vs. dynamic tell me that this is an IP that could be utilized at somewhere like an internet cafe or a starbucks versus someone's home computer. And again what is the likelihood that its being utilized by multiple people versus one individual?

-the prof

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 am

Dynamic vs Static is how the ISP assigns an IP address to the client. In general ISPs more frequently use dynamic IP addresses for residential and static for business connections. The "corporate" vs "broadband" vs "wireless" has more to do with the technology to delivery that internet connection. As people, generally, do not have high-end connections coming into their home you're less likely to see "corporate" connections associated with residential addresses. However as technology has changed and business internet use has changed there are more "broadband" corporate users than before.

There is no easy way to determine if there is only one user at an IP address or many users. There are some indicators that I won't go into, and when we see those indicators we identify it as such (network sharing device, etc) on the site. The lack of indication on our site does not mean than it's not a network sharing device, but when we indicate as such we're very confident.

profv4v

Post by profv4v » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:57 am

In general is it more difficult to say exactly where a subject is when the ISP is an AT&T wireless or T-Mobile? I recall hearing that an IP address for a wireless device may simply hit on the nearest AT&T facility which may be 100's of miles away, therefore the IP address that would show up is simply where the wireless provider is located versus where the person is located.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:52 am

With wireless carriers geolocation is more edge case. When it's close it's often VERY close and when it's off it can be states away.

profv4v

Post by profv4v » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:01 am

Why is that? Is that because the IP it is hitting on certain servers located near or far away?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:07 am

It's a combination of how they regionally pool IP addresses and wireless devices more frequently sharing more accurate location details.