Looked up IP --- how do I know whether info is accurate

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
abcfinder

Looked up IP --- how do I know whether info is accurate

Post by abcfinder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:50 am

I looked up an IP address; how do I know whether the information, which incidentally is quite detailed, is more or less accurate and locates the device? Strange that it would be a dial-up connection....

I get this:
Hostname: 171.sub-174-252-82.myvzw.com
ISP: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
Organization: Cellco Partnership DBA Verizon Wireless
Services: None detected
Type: Dial-up
Assignment: Static IP

I also did a trace but am not sure what that tells me.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Looked up IP --- how do I know whether info is accurate

Post by Chrispcritters » Sat Sep 10, 2011 12:46 pm

Given that it's an IP address for cell/wireless I would not give it much in terms of accuracy.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

abcfinder

Post by abcfinder » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:47 pm

Someone with this IP address accessed my facebook; however, it also says Safari on Mac OSX and then the IP address. So you're saying it's a cell phone? Is that because of the ISP? Why is it then "static IP" and "dial up?" Does each cellphone have its own specific IP address?

Also got another unauthorized access, but for that it said Application facebook for iPhone.

Thank you!

Voodoo

Post by Voodoo » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:04 am

@abcfinder
Don't trust FB too much. FB is wonderful for fun but NOT for a serious communication mean. FB's APIs (Application Programming Interfaces) allows a 3rd party to access FB... in plain words: Your private data are as public as a bulletin in your city hall :mrgreen:

abcfinder

Post by abcfinder » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:40 am

OK, background information: For the past weeks, someone has been impersonating me by sending emails from a hotmail account to people which has caused substantial trouble from me. This is not my hotmail account.
Now, my fb shows access (1) with an IP address --- that's the one my original post referred to and (2) with an iphone application
I'm trying to figure out who that might be, assuming that it's the same person.

RWM

Post by RWM » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:14 pm

I have had some major problems with fb. Several fake profiles going around making very harmful accusations. I've reported these profiles several times to no avail. I'm now having to spend money on an attorney

remi

Post by remi » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:01 am

Sorry I did not understand your problem here. What is the link between hotmail emails and facebook access? How did you see IP access on facebook? You mean someone access your facebook account? Or is it simply your facebook wall?

An IP is not really a personal ID. In most countries, legal authorities can find "who is behind this IP", thanks to ISP help.
But for personal cases like yours, you cannot identify who is behind an IP. You will be able to have some clues, like the ISP name. If someones of your entourage targets you, you could guess who it is thanks to this ISP name.

The user-agent is simply the browser type. In your example this is an access from a MacOSX running Safari. So this Apple computer accessed the Internet through a 3G dongle (as ISP looks to be Mobile). Do you know someone with Apple stuff and with this ISP?

If this is really important to you, go to court, and court will ask Verizon : who is this IP...