CHAT AND IP ADDRESS

Post your questions about IP address geolocation here.
pks0003

CHAT AND IP ADDRESS

Post by pks0003 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:56 pm

I am having some chat on my server (in my gmail account). How to find the IP address of both the person.

pks0003

Re: CHAT AND IP ADDRESS

Post by pks0003 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:48 pm

pl friends I need your help to settle this issue. reply to my post asap

iastaff

Post by iastaff » Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:06 pm

As far as I'm aware, Gmail does not provide that information.

tommy_b

Post by tommy_b » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:10 pm

iastaff wrote:As far as I'm aware, Gmail does not provide that information.
The policy has changed... or rather, as I've experienced first hand, perhaps Google is simply just getting around to updating their TOS and help pages, LOL.

The Gmail policy, located here and updated December, 2009, now states (emphasis is mine) -
Gmail may hide sender IP address information from outgoing mail headers in some circumstances.
Google previously had a more definitive statement, and that was simply that a user's IP address was not included in Gmail headers, period, as they respect people's need for privacy (yeah right - but driving around in cars and recording & storing data from people's wifi networks isn't privacy invasive? inherent ignorance in anyone maintaining an unencrypted network aside, of course, LOL).

And, as always has been the case for as long as they've had POP and IMAP access enabled, if you send email from a desktop/mobile device client using a Gmail account (exceptions: Gmail client apps from Google themselves), whatever IP address is associated with your internet connection will always be listed in the mail header.

Good ol Google! You get what you pay for. :?
"The absolute best way to prevent an invasion of privacy while online is to simply not go online... Unless they choose complete abstinence from the web, users are vulnerable." - from an Adobe Systems white paper on Flash Player security