previous ip owner / email reverse search

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
mickyp

previous ip owner / email reverse search

Post by mickyp » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:31 am

Hi

I read a thread(2013) about finding previous owners of an ip Address, started by tradpole1, were you able to help? i have an email i would like to do the same, ie find the owner of the ip at the time of the email.
Or a reverse email address search, i have seen a number of pay sites US based that offer the service, i have no objection to paying but if you read the reviews of the sites a lot seem to make it difficult to cancel membership and keep taking the money.

So if you know of a trustworthy site, that would help too, the email owner vanished off the radar five years ago and I believe may have passed away, I would just like to get some form of closure so any guidance you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: previous ip owner / email reverse search

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm

I think you're going to have a difficult time.

Most ISP's don't keep their logs any longer than they need to by law. I'm sure that 5 years is well beyond that time. You'd also need to file a law suit to subpoena the records...

For any of the reverse lookup sites to provide you anything useful that email address would have to have been used publicly in a way that it was tied to the user. For example, was a domain name registered using that address, etc. Again, I think with it being 5 years old you're going to run into difficulties.

Have you tried Googling the email address in quotes and checked all the results?
Founder and Chief Marketing Technologist of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Facebook and Twitter for some behind the scenes info.

mickyp

Re: previous ip owner / email reverse search

Post by mickyp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 am

Hi yes i did, google gave a negative result unfortunately, when i put the address into spokeo and Sherlock they both indicated a record being there, but again that could be anything i suppose lol.