how to find IP address I sent an email from

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
ahhman

how to find IP address I sent an email from

Post by ahhman » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:48 pm

I have a company with 2 other people and we use gmail for all our email communication needs. Someone cancelled an order and they both deny it. The 3 of us are the only ones that have access to this account. We all live in 3 different states. How do I find out which IP address the email was sent from?

lisati

Re: how to find IP address I sent an email from

Post by lisati » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 am

nielsencl1

Re: how to find IP address I sent an email from

Post by nielsencl1 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:24 am

You have an interesting problem that may not be easy to solve, but there are ways. If the information about tracing email did help you could consider these options:

- Check the time and date of the email. Ask both persons to explain where they were and what they were doing at that time. If they can provide proof that they were doing something else, then that may point you to the guilty party.

- If you are willing to get a lawyer and a court order, you could request that access records for the account from Google. That should show you the activity and the IP addresses that were used.

But please consider that it may not be either of the two people you suspect. We know that at least 3 different people have access to the account, and someone else may have access as well at all three locations.

I think it's clear now that sharing a business account has a number of risks, so you may want to reconsider that. It's easy to still share email but have each person use a different account that makes sender identification easier.