Utility of geolocation

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
al3xand3r

Utility of geolocation

Post by al3xand3r » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:30 pm

I have entered the IP addresses of several emails I have received into the IP address lookup app here to determine how useful the information I received for an IP address I had a question about was. Of the 4 emails for which I KNOW the geographic location from which they were sent (all from yahoo), none of the IP addresses from their headers returned location information accurate within 600 miles. My question is this: If an IP address is geolocated in Austin, TX from info in a gmail header, can I at least have a reasonable certainty that it originated in the continental US, or is there no way to have any real idea? Could it have been sent from Hong Kong, or the Philippines, or Siberia, or practically anywhere?

al3xand3r

And one more thing...

Post by al3xand3r » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:35 pm

Will programs like this "Avast Secureline" (I think I am recalling that correctly) that pops up every time I start my computer, wanting me to buy it, give the same IP address every time they are used, albeit an incorrect one, or would the IP address vary from one email to another over time - thougn not necessarily every single time?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Utility of geolocation

Post by Chrispcritters » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm

I think the confusion is that, unfortunately, fewer and fewer email providers are including the sender's IP address in the headers. You are likely seeing the email service provider's IP addresses instead. In many cases this provides little to no valuable information.

Without seeing the headers, or at least the IP addresses, you are looking at it's hard to confirm.

When it comes to end-user IP addresses you'd likely see significantly better results -- the challenge is getting the sender's IP address.

I'm not familiar with that application or what it does.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

al3xand3r

Post by al3xand3r » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:18 pm

Chrispcritters wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:03 pm
I think the confusion is that, unfortunately, fewer and fewer email providers are including the sender's IP address in the headers. You are likely seeing the email service provider's IP addresses instead. In many cases this provides little to no valuable information.

Without seeing the headers, or at least the IP addresses, you are looking at it's hard to confirm.

When it comes to end-user IP addresses you'd likely see significantly better results -- the challenge is getting the sender's IP address.

I'm not familiar with that application or what it does.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I kind of figured that I am getting the server IP and not the actual person's. But would a gmail sent from say, Istanbul be delivered with an Austin, TX server IP or would it at least have one a little closer to where it was sent from? I'm not looking for anything really precise, but I'd like to narrow it down to the same continent, or not.

nielsencl1

Post by nielsencl1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm

The email may be relayed from a server outside the USA to one here, but I am not sure.

And someone outside the USA may be using a proxy server to send email from inside the USA anyway.

You could try a service like whoreadme.com and see if that gives you better information.(I have tried them and it seems to work, but I have no other connection to their service.)

al3xand3r

Post by al3xand3r » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:59 pm

nielsencl1 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:48 pm
The email may be relayed from a server outside the USA to one here, but I am not sure.

And someone outside the USA may be using a proxy server to send email from inside the USA anyway.

You could try a service like whoreadme.com and see if that gives you better information.(I have tried them and it seems to work, but I have no other connection to their service.)
I tried whoreadme.com this last night for the address I'm interested in knowing about. The result gave me a google proxy server in China. "Location: Unknown (Protected by Google Image Proxy)" But thanks, anyway. I guess there is really no way to find out without a court order instructing Google to release the information, and I have no grounds for that.