Had a virus (Wordpress)...now I'm blacklisted...

Post your questions about DNS based blacklists, what they are, listing status, and removal help.
cinderjack

Had a virus (Wordpress)...now I'm blacklisted...

Post by cinderjack »

My ip 73.78.126.34 has been blacklisted because I had a wordpress virus that was sending out spam emails. This has happened before and I'd love guidance in 2 areas:
1) how can I tell right away that this is happening? (I definitely don't want to appear to be spending out spam emails!!)
2) how can I get my ip removed from the blacklists?
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Had a virus (Wordpress)...now I'm blacklisted...

Post by Chrispcritters »

Please confirm, are you hosting your Wordpress site on your home internet connection?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.
cinderjack

Post by cinderjack »

Sorry I never replied - I was thinking this was resolved, but now it's happening again.

In answer to your question, the Wordpress sites are hosted with BlueHost. I've had them run multiple virus scans and they come back clean. And they have manually white listed my ip address, but then it gets blacklisted again!

I'd love to 1) figure out *why* it's happening so I can fix that and 2) learn how to remedy it myself if / when it does happen.

The ID is 73.78.126.34
Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters »

73.78.126.34 is your home IP address, not the IP address of your website.

It's very normal for a residential IP address to be on the SORBS DUL list as it lists residential and dynamically assigned IP address, where customers should not be operating a mail server. It should not impact your website or your own ability to send mail via Google, Yahoo, or any other email provider.

Is the listing causing some issue?

So far this is independent of your website. Are there also problems with your website?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.