Problems with IP being blacklisted

Post your questions about DNS based blacklists, what they are, listing status, and removal help.
ipproblems

Problems with IP being blacklisted

Post by ipproblems » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:37 am

Hi,

Suffering with a few connection issues and one of the things I was advised to do after numerous other attempts to fix it was to check our IP for blacklisting. Sure enough, our ip ##.#.###.## is shown as being blacklisted on:

[*]CBL
[*]SORBS
[*]APEWS
[*]Spamhaus

Really would like to know how to get to the root of the issue and remove the problem. It is a residential home network with 5 computers. All have paid antivirus software, full scans have been run on and all with no problems detected. Also tried using McAfee Stinger and Norton Power Eraser with no success. We aren't running any mail servers or anything like that, just normal home usage.

Suggestions?
Last edited by Chrispcritters on Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: IP address removed at poster's request.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Problems with IP being blacklisted

Post by Chrispcritters » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:10 pm

The DUL listing is normal for residential internet connections as you should not be running a mail server from home.
The APEWS listing is normal for about 40% of the internet. Don't worry at all about this one.
The CBL listing is a concern.

CBL provides a thorough list of instructions on how to detect and remove the infection. Makes sure you check all devices that are either hardwired or wirelessly connected to that network.

A couple of other things you might want to check:
1) If you've got wifi I suggest that you also change the wifi password.
2) Check to make sure that your router has all the latest firmware updates.
3) You can try powering down your modem for 8 hours to see if a new IP address is issued. If so, check to see if it's listed with CBL. If not, wait a few days and see if it's listed. If the new IP address becomes listed with CBL that's pretty much a confirmation that something on your network is infected.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

ipproblems

Re: Problems with IP being blacklisted

Post by ipproblems » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:27 pm

Chris, I was a bit of a lurker before I suffered problems myself and just wanted to thank you for the very prompt replies you make and your knowledge.

The router firmware is up to date, and the wi-fi password was changed recently. I will try a prolonged period of powering down our router and turning back on 24 hours later or so.

I'll come back with feedback in a couple of days.