Need help removing my IP from blacklist

Post your questions about DNS based blacklists, what they are, listing status, and removal help.
stumped123

Need help removing my IP from blacklist

Post by stumped123 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:00 am

Good afternoon,

My IP address is on a number of blacklists (7 at last check) and I can't figure out how to find out why I'm on them. This has lead to emails to Microsoft email addresses bouncing.

Here is an example bounce:
Reporting-MTA: dns; outmx-008.london.gridhost.co.uk
X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 53880205C0130
X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [my email address]
Arrival-Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2019 08:56:09 +0000 (GMT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [recipient's email address]
Original-Recipient: rfc822;[recipient's email address]
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: dns; eur.olc.protection.outlook.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.1 Unfortunately, messages from [95.142.156.62]
weren't sent. Please contact your Internet service provider since part of
their network is on our block list (S3140). You can also refer your
provider to http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
[VE1EUR02FT044.eop-EUR02.prod.protection.outlook.com]
I think my situation is slightly complex, as according to my web host,
[95.142.156.62] is outmx-008.london.gridhost.co.uk
This mail server is used when your personal IP address is blacklisted at least one time and you are using mail client like Outlook, Thunderbird etc.
My IP is 92.40.248.175, and I'm using Outlook and mobile (4g) broadband).

My web host said I should get my ISP to get the address delisted or to change my IP, but they say they can't do it. I read the delisting FAQ and it said I should try to find out first why I have been blacklisted before manually requesting removal, but I'm not tech literate enough to find that out on my own...
Many thanks in advance.

[To the mods: I posted this same topic earlier but it was rejected as being 'off topic'. I don't think it is off topic, though in my haste I did neglect to include the bounce message or my IP. I noticed straight away but couldn't edit my message because it hadn't been approved. If for some reason this is still off topic, could you send me a message to explain why and point me to where I should post it instead?]

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Need help removing my IP from blacklist

Post by Chrispcritters » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:41 pm

Unless you are operating your own mail server, your mobile 4g IP address is not the issue.

If you are using gridhost as your email provider your issue is that they are having a problem keeping people from spamming from their servers.

Gridhost will need to follow that link in the bounce message and resolve the issue. Unfortunately, it's out of your hands, unless you want to switch email providers.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

stumped123

Re: Need help removing my IP from blacklist

Post by stumped123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:20 am

Thanks very much for the reply. I had a feeling this was the case.

Unfortunately, switching email providers isn't much of an option as the account is associated with my website, which is hosted by TSO host (gridhost).
I don't get a bounce back when using webmail instead of a client, but the message doesn't seem to arrive. Using a VPN seems to work, however the message goes to the SPAM folder.

TSO host also seem to have an ongoing issue with Microsoft, however I'm not sure it's linked.

I'll just have to work around the problem for the time being and hope it gets solved soon.

Thanks again.