Blocked on one site.

Post your questions about DNS based blacklists, what they are, listing status, and removal help.
Snorlax

Blocked on one site.

Post by Snorlax » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Hi...
IP ADDRESS: 199.66.65.96
CAN'T POST TO: forums.chisham.com
ERROR MSG: Can't post to the forum because 199.66.65.96 is blocked by Spamhaus
BLOCKED BY: Spamhaus SBLCSS
COMPUTERS: Three at home here and two iPhones. All computers clean per Norton 360. Can't test iPhones.
ALL OTHER FORUMS I USE: no problems with blockage so far. Checked a few minutes before making this post
EMAIL: None returned but I have no idea whether intended recipients actually received unless I get responses, which I seem to be getting.

MISC: I can post to the above-named forum if I use my VPN. I'd suppose if I had issues, Spamhaus would find the VPN's address and block it, too.
Given a finite amount of IPv4 addresses, is it possible that 199.66.65.96 could be a previous spammer?
I've had this IP for a few days but these problems cropped up in the past 2-3 days
I can go to Spamhaus and request removal--the removal works for a few minutes, but then that forum blocks me again and I'm back on Spamhaus's
blacklist.
The forum owner is offering no insight or help, unfortunately, so here I am!
ADVICE WELCOME. THANKS!

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Blocked on one site.

Post by Chrispcritters » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:32 pm

There is some history of malicious activity from that IP address as recently as a few days ago.

I suggest that rather than trying to get the IP address delisted, that you turn off your modem/router for at least 8 hours to try to get your ISP to assign a new IP address to your router.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

Snorlax

Post by Snorlax » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:38 pm

Thanx for the info...

I now have a static IP from the ISP, BUT...
*If my computer has issues, won't the new static IP be blocked as well? (it hasn't so far)
*Why was I blocked on only one forum when I regularly use 7 or 8?
*Are there other tools besides Malwarebytes and Norton I could use to check my machines? They've all come up clean on a Norton 360 full scan.
Thanks for your time and wisdom.
Jim

Snorlax

Post by Snorlax » Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:16 pm

UPDATE: TDSSKILLER also shows all three machines ok, and my new static ip is on a couple of lists already.

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Post by Chrispcritters » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:42 am

It's not unusual for an IP address to be on a couple of lists that track IP addresses that shouldn't be used for mail servers.

Yes, it's possible that if there is malicious activity coming from your network that the IP address will be flagged.

Not all forums use the same techniques to prevent spam.

Keep an eye on https://www.abuseat.org/lookup.cgi for your IP address. They're good at providing a ton of information as to what the malicious activity was, when it happened, and how to find it on your network.
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.