Scammer ID... Need aid!

Post your questions about tracing the source IP address of an email here.
jvpaak

Scammer ID... Need aid!

Post by jvpaak » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:00 am

Good Morning All!

I would like to start off by saying that I am "That Guy(Girl)". I ended up wiring this individual money, I tried to cancel it within 10 minutes, and the dude already picked it up. Anyways, He used this email to contact me with a photo that I requested: chief3558@gmail.com. All other contact was made through two different phone numbers(one was claimed to be his sons phone), and I now believe that he was using a burner.

Anyways, the email was received through my iphone, and I am able to access icloud from my work computer(not a mac). I cant seem to find the headers. Can anyone help me track this?

Chrispcritters
Forum Administrator

Re: Scammer ID... Need aid!

Post by Chrispcritters » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:45 am

Unfortunately Gmail emails no longer include the source IP address.

You'd need to work for law enforcement in order to get additional information. Do you know where the person picked up the money? In the US, Nigeria, somewhere else?
Founder & CEO of WhatIsMyIPAddress.com.
You can follow me on Twitter and Facebook for some behind the scenes info.

DavydEbnks

Post by DavydEbnks » Sat Nov 28, 2015 6:26 pm

Usually these scammers use 2 different emails. One for sending and one for recving your reply.(Reply-To). Perhaps from the header info, we could ascertain some valuable info.

Give me a shout and lets see if we can work some magic.

ohagan8458

Post by ohagan8458 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:27 am

Hi,

My boyfriend is also 'That Guy' and I am determined to find 'that b*stard' who has his money lol.

I have emailed the person who scammed him from my account, saying I was interested in the ad on eBay. They have been in touch with me regularly, sending me details of an account yesterday (which I reported to Barclays and it has been shut down...HA!). The only email I have for them is office8@abtpro.co.uk and it appears to be registered to an address in the Scottish Borders and has only been live since Jan. 14th, don't know how reliable this is though - guessing the account is disposable. I have been using my Gmail account and there is no IP address, so does anyone have any ideas of how to trace it...?

Police and bank are aware.